Maximum marks available per question

Autodidactuary

Keen member
Hello,

In most CP1 past papers there is a maximum number of marking points available per question. For example, for an 8-mark question the mark scheme will often give a list of points, at the end of which it might say '[Marks available 17, maximum 8]'. Does it follow that any talking points I made for such a question (even if valid/justifiable) won't score anything if they aren't explicitly listed in the mark scheme?

I often try to make 2 distinct points for every mark available in the question in this exam and try to make more if I can in the hope that most of them will be captured by the mark scheme - just wondering if there is any leniency in this regard on the marker's part.

There is often a little flexibility around the marking schedule for points to score even if not explicitly on the marking schedule, in particular if you cover a theme that is on the marking schedule but cover it in a different but equally valid way then the point is likely to be given credit. Also note there is no negative marking in the exam so if you need to provide say 8 points but within the time can set out 10 and the examiners don't like a couple of your early points then you would still score fully. So in short if you have enough time, it is a good idea to add a couple of extra ideas to your answer.

Back