Doubts from Chapter 22

Discussion in 'SP2' started by Vatsal Gupta, Sep 3, 2021.

1. Vatsal Gupta

Vatsal Gupta Made first post

Hi
    Could anyone please help me with the below doubt:

Question1:
    Core reading says:
    "Finally, a useful way to summarise the issues on profit for the equating policy values method is as
    follows:
     The left-hand side is like a surrender value.
     The right-hand side is like a new contract.
     To find the total expected profit from the altered contract, add the two bits together.
    Here, ‘left-hand side’ and ‘right-hand side’ relate to the policy values calculated before and after
    the alteration."

To me LHS seems to be old policy value and the RHS to be new policy value.
    How by adding both of these values will land up to the total profit from the policy?

Question2:
    Core Reading says:
    "The method will produce consistent surrender values immediately before and after alteration if the same methods and assumptions are used as for calculating surrender values."

Even after using same basis how we can get the same surrender value from the new and the old policies, because I think that some part of the old/new policy would be used to pay out the alteration charges as well(tv=tv'+AL). The level of deviation between the surrender values from old and new policy will depend on the amount of alteration charges.
    Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks
    Vatsal

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2021
  2. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Vatsal

Q1. Yes, I agree entirely. The LHS is value of the old policy and the RHS is the value of the new. The course notes is just suggesting that one way to value the old policy is its surrender value.

The profit from the old policy is the excess of the asset share over the surrender value. We can then apply the surrender value to buy the new contract. The profit from the new policy is the excess of the surrender value over the value of the new contract. Adding these together gives the total profit, ie the excess of the asset share over the value of the new policy.

Q2. Yes the alteration charge will reduce the value of the new contract and hence its surrender value. The notes do not say that the surrender value will be the same before and after, just that they will be consistent, eg we won't get silly answers like the surrender value of the new contract being bigger than the surrender value of the old contract.

Best wishes

Mark

Vatsal Gupta likes this.