Assignment X3 - Pie chart in solutions

Discussion in 'CP2' started by JT5870, Sep 1, 2021.

1. JT5870

JT5870 Made first post

Hello,

In the solutions spreadsheet the percentages in the pie chart do not sum to 100%. It appears this is because the percentages have been calculated from the monetary tax amounts before creating the pie chart.

In my solution I created the pie chart directly from the monetary tax amounts and so Excel has automatically rounded up the highest percentage so that they cumulatively sum to 100%.

Would I lose marks for my approach or when creating a pie chart should we always calculate the percentages first before creating a pie chart?

Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Sarah Byrne

Sarah Byrne ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

I think that either approaches are fine here. Rounding means that three of the segments in the solution have 0.33 after the value, and this gives the 'missing' 1%. If in any doubt a comment can be added in the audit trail/summary explaining this. I would take care though, especially if the rounding make a difference to the results, for example it could change one category to be the 'highest' from being around the same as another (it is essentially rounding up which should always be used with care). Calculating the percentages first ensures that you are aware of the true values.

Kind regards
    Sarah