Executive Summary

Discussion in 'CP3' started by Apd, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Apd

Apd Member

Do you need to include a summary at the end of a report if you already have an executive summary at the start of the report?
    In the ASET April 2019 paper there is both an executive summary and a summary? Won't this be considered repetition?
    Thanks

2. Helen Evans

Helen Evans Ton up Member Staff Member

I would normally not include a summary at the end if the executive summary report has been produced, instead I would look to include the 'answer' in the executive summary at the start and a summary at the end is therefore not required. That said if the summary is written in a way that it doesn't closely repeat the early part of the communication then it can still be an effective communication and a 'Pass'.

3. Studystuff

Studystuff Member

Hi, I am also a bit confused of the setup of the ASET solution and the IFOA solution to this question. In the IFOA marking schedule it says that in the introduction you need to include statements such as "The correction has increased the liabilitites". I would've thought an introduction wouldnt have statements like this unless it was an executive summary? The acted solutions seems to have an executive summary and a summary which includes a lot of repitition? I would greatly appreciate some clarity here! Thanks:)

4. Studystuff

Studystuff Member

Would IFOA markers have flexibility in how the marking schedule is applied ? I.E separate intro + summary sections vs just an executive summary?

5. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Yes, where appropriate, markers are indeed given flexibility. In the marking schedule for the April 2020 exam this was made explicit in the schedule where the following statement was made (edited so as to avoid being a 'spoiler'!):

"It is acknowledged that students may take different approaches to drafting a [form of document] ... Therefore, the following points should be credited whether they appear in an opening paragraph, an introduction and/or conclusion, or an executive summary."