Machine Learning

Discussion in 'CS2' started by Bslater, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Bslater

Bslater Made first post

Hi guys,

I’m resitting CS2 in September. I feel pretty good with most of the content but was really thrown off by the machine learning question in April. Has anyone got an tips or suggestions of any extra reading I could do to try and improve my knowledge of machine learning?

Actuary@22 likes this.
  2. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

There are some recommended texts about machine learning in the course notes, but there is also a wealth of information online about all the algorithms covered, and lots with accompanying R code so you can try things out yourself.

However, I think more importantly it would be worth having a look at the machine learning question from April again to see if you can work out what went wrong for you. From what I've heard from other students, the problem was that part (i) was a stumbling block, and in some cases this threw people enough that they abandoned the question. You may find that without exam pressure you can get further with this question, and even pick up marks in the later parts that you may not have realised did not depend on part (i).

If you have ordered the ASET for this paper you may also find the additional commentary on exam technique for this question useful.

Dave