1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

April 2006, Q5

Discussion in 'SP5' started by 1495_sc, Jul 31, 2021.

1. 1495_sc

1495_sc Ton up Member

Hi,

Can someone please share a detailed solution of this question? I could not get to the answer beyond calculating MWRR for each country. How to effectively use the currency rates in the question?

Thanks in advance!

2. Joe Hook

Joe Hook ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have a detailed solution for this and I believe that the ASET written for this (which hasn't been available for a number of years) took a different approach to that of the examiners. I think you've probably done quite well in just getting the MWRRs as this was a very difficult question.

In terms of currency returns it's calculated as (Currency rate at start year / currency return at end year) - 1. To convince yourself of this you can think of 1 unit invested at the start of the year that earns currency returns only. E.g. for £1 invested in US dollars we would receive 1.9 dollars at the start of the year. At the end of the year we could convert that 1.9 dollars back into pounds and would receive 1.9/1.75 = 1.08571 so currency returns are 8.571%. The effect on performance then depend on whether we are over/under weight in those currencies. From a currency perspective some outperformance would be generated from being over-exposed to the US as the currency has appreciated but in this case we have held the benchmark weighting.

These currency returns can be applied to the benchmark returns as well, essentially putting everything in £ terms.

Another thing to note:

The Examiners assumed that the indices were total return indices, and hence the index yield was not used in the calculations.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful than this.
    Joe

3. 1495_sc

1495_sc Ton up Member

Thank you so much Joe. Will try solving again with your input but as it was questioned only once in 15 years, I hope this isn't repeated because solving this in exam seems challenging.