1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Exam appeal process

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Erika, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Erika

Erika Member

I've not seen a post on this since 2017 so thought I'd open a thread...

Has anyone been through the exam appeal process after receiving their SAR request for mark breakdown?

I was 0.25 marks off CP1 first time, and now I am a mark off again... with one marker passing my paper and the other not. The discrepancy for one of the papers between the two markers is 6 marks too.

I am aware I am a borderline student for this paper but would really appreciate understanding if the appeal process is worth it as it is incredibly frustrating to see that an appeal process seems to exist but to get any sort of remark or challenge through successfully seems impossible...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2021
  2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Gutted to hear that you were so close. Given that you are a borderline case, your paper would have also been third marked by the chief examiner and so it is very unlikely that it will move after an appeal.

3. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

As John says it is unlikely to move after an appeal. Unlike GCSEs and A levels where remarks are done only on appeal, the remark is done automatically in advance for scripts close to the boundary.

4. padasala

padasala Ton up Member

5. VSA_88

VSA_88 Active Member

I appealed my 1 mark CP1 fail last year after I was unable to receive my mitigating circumstances evidence in time due to Covid. Not only was I unwell for 2 months with an infection, but there was also huge variance in the marking by the two examiners.

End result: the biggest waste of money and time I've ever experienced. I wouldn't recommend appealing, there shouldn't even be an option for students to appeal a result.

6. N15

N15 Keen member

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has gone through with the exam appealing process. I am sort of considering it and wanted to have a conversation with someone who might have gone through with what seems a painful process.

Responses would be appreciated.

Thanks

7. wwatson

wwatson Keen member

I had a 20 marks discrepancy in my fellowship paper in the September 2021 sitting. which is insane. I know. but I don't think I can be bothered making appeal after hearing all of the experiences shared by everyone on this forum / reddit. I will resit the exam in April 2022. Maybe that's what the IFoA wants. they win!

pjlee01 likes this.