Breach of Assessment Regulations | Possible consequences

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Ngoni, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Ngoni

Ngoni Member

Hi guys

Has anyone spoken to someone who was previously found guilty of breaching assessment regulations? What was the penalty?

I have just received an email notifying me that I'm being investigated for plagiarism. I just want to know what the possible consequences are if they find me guilty.

Thanks

2. Autodidactuary

Autodidactuary Keen member

What date and time did you receive the e-mail, if you don't mind me asking?

3. Ngoni

Ngoni Member

I received it on Monday this week

4. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

5. Ngoni

Ngoni Member

6. Autodidactuary

Autodidactuary Keen member

I don't personally know of anyone who wasn't cleared in the end, but the IFoA's Inappropriate Conduct page says this:

7. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

It also says the following on this page:

https://www.actuaries.org.uk/news-and-insights/news/september-2020-examinations-summary

"Inappropriate Examination Conduct

In order to maintain the integrity of our examinations, the IFoA uses a range of measures to identify inappropriate examination conduct such as plagiarism and collusion, including the use of proprietary plagiarism software.

Examiners were pleased to note that even more candidates followed our advice on plagiarism than in the April examination session. Over 99% of candidate scripts caused no concern following review by the software, exam markers, Education Actuaries and Examiners, an improvement on the figure of 97% for our April examinations. The majority of cases related to plagiarism, with candidates found to have behaved inappropriately receiving sanctions ranging from formal warnings to disqualification from September 2020 examinations, and, in a small number of cases, a 24 month ban from sitting our examinations.

While have made improvements in our guidance on how to approach open book exams as a result of your feedback, we would welcome any additional feedback on how we can offer further clarity. Please contact quality@actuaries.org.uk with your suggestions.

We will also be publishing an article covering how we investigate alleged plagiarism and collusion once we have formally concluded our Inappropriate Examination Conduct investigations, which we hope candidates will find useful."

Ngoni likes this.