Chapter12 Page18

Discussion in 'CS2' started by Sunil Chaudhary, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Sunil Chaudhary

Sunil Chaudhary Active Member

Hi,
    This may seem obvious but I am unable to understand the below:
    var(estimator of mu) = (sigma^2)/(tn -1)

Could anyone let me know how this comes or any reference.

Thanks,
    Sunil

2. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Sunil

I can't find what you're referring to on p18 of chapter 12, but there is a similar derivation on p23. Is that what you're looking for?

Dave

3. Sunil Chaudhary

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response. Please note that I am using CS2-PC-19 study material and the exprseeion is on Page 18.

var(estimator of mu) = (sigma^2)/(tn -1)

where tn is the number of past years' data used to estimate mu.

Trust this makes little bit claer.

Apologies, I am unable to insert the image, I tried but uable to, I think I have to look up how to do that.

Thanks.
    Sunil

4. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Sunil,

The derivation has since been added to the notes. I've reproduced it below for you (note that \( t_n \) has been replaced by \( n \)):

When we make forecasts using the random walk model, the errors accumulate over time, meaning that we are increasingly uncertain about our forecasts further into the future. In a linear regression model, the error (between actual and predicted values) is assumed to be stationary, ie it has the same distribution (with constant variance) over time.

Under the random walk model, \( \mu=E(k_t-k_{t-1}) \), ie \( \mu \) is the mean change in the time trend factor. \( \hat{\mu} \) is calculated from observed historical data, and so is itself also subject to uncertainty. If the estimator of \( \mu \) is based on \( n \) years of data, then it is the average of \( n-1 \) values of \( k_t-k_{t-1} \).

If we denote the estimator of \( \mu \) as \( \tilde{\mu} \), then since \( var(k_t-k_{t-1})=\sigma^2 \) for all \( t \) and the increments are independent:

\[ var(\tilde{\mu})=var\left[\frac{\left(k_n-k_{n-1}\right)+\left(k_{n-1}-k_{n-2}\right)+\cdots+\left(k_2-k_1\right)}{n-1}\right] \]
    \[ =\sum_{i=2}^{n}var\left[\frac{(k_i-k_{i-1})}{n-1}\right] \]
    \[ =\sum_{i=2}^{n}\frac{\sigma^2}{(n-1)^2} \]
    \[ =\frac{\sigma^2}{n-1} \]

Hope this clears things up for you.

Dave

5. Sunil Chaudhary

Many Thanks Dave.

I will also look at Acted course upgrade material.

Sunil