Investigation into possible plagiarism

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Peter90, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

That's true too. But if you look at the bottom of your ActEd materials you'll see © IFE Ltd.

2. kze

kze Keen member

if the question is "list the purpose of underwriting", which is clearly bookwork and I make my own list out of memory (not word for word)... do I need to make reference such as "IFoA SPx Core Reading 2020, Unit x, Pagex, Paragraph x"?

3. almost_there

almost_there Member

What if someone has learned something like this from the workplace, from their daily work, their University studies, their personal reading apart from studying for the exam...

4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Quoting from: https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studyi...-regulations/inappropriate-conduct/plagiarism

"The IFoA recognise that answers to some questions in our examinations, which ask for basic information for example ‘definitions’, ‘principles’, ‘basic lists’, and ‘regulations’ may have been memorised as part of your revision strategy. These could be identical or very similar to the contents of your learning materials. Examiners and markers will be familiar with these questions, and candidates will not generally be investigated for plagiarism where such similarity is identified."

5. pjlee01

pjlee01 Ton up Member

almost_there likes this.
  6. almost_there

almost_there Member

They said: "The Board’s Annual Reports for 2018 and 2019/2020 (which were presented to Council before publication), referred to measures to improve cost recovery so as to mitigate the exposure of the wider membership to costs incurred where misconduct has taken place. In light of your comments the Board does intend to consider, at its next meeting, whether further steps need to be taken to communicate these changes to relevant stakeholders."

What? There's no way that members could figure out from their annual reports they were going to suddenly allow IFoA to claim for costs of entire investigation, in the tens of thousands! Completely unreasonable thing to say. Totally unacceptable.This Disciplinary Board is made up of mostly actuaries isn't it?

pjlee01 likes this.
  7. pjlee01

pjlee01 Ton up Member

Indeed - if an actuary had communicated a massive increase (manyfold, so not just a few percentage points!) in that way, or allowed an insurance company to do so, then wouldn't they (rightly) be criticised for failing to communicate clearly and adequately?

almost_there likes this.
  8. pjlee01

pjlee01 Ton up Member

9. pjlee01

pjlee01 Ton up Member

10. Greentea

Greentea Active Member

I've had a plagiarism email through for april 2021 sitting, any comments or tips from others who received this in the past?thanks

Perce likes this.
  11. ActuaryGirl

ActuaryGirl Made first post

When did it arrive?

12. EB_90

EB_90 Made first post

I received one this morning too, any advice would be appreciated

13. Greentea

Greentea Active Member

Sorry to hear that. It's stressful isn't it. I'll pm you.

14. Perce

Perce Member

I have received one for collusion despite never contacting anybody during my exam.

almost_there likes this.
  15. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

Sorry to hear that. In any defence, I would stress the difficulty of following rules that change shortly before the exam.

Ashwin Shrivastava and pjlee01 like this.
  16. Ashwin Shrivastava

Ashwin Shrivastava Active Member

I received the email as well today. However, for all the questions they mentioned I did provide references to all of them including the page number and chapter. I'm not sure what counts as plagiarism as I did mention it in references. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

17. Jenny Chin

Jenny Chin Made first post

I've also received plagiarism letter from IFOA. It was saying that copying formula with full explanations/characteristics and supplemented my own examples to those points are considered as plagiarism. Come on, that's also the key points that I learnt from the past paper marking scheme to gain marks.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

18. Suzuki

Suzuki Member

I have received one for plagiarism too, would appreciate any inputs/advice based on past experiences. It is immensely stressful & I hope face to face exams make a come back in near future.

19. LatteCafe

LatteCafe Member

I've received one for plagiarism too. It would be so stressful. Would really appreciate it if I could gets some advice too. Thanks so much.

20. Ashwin Shrivastava

Ashwin Shrivastava Active Member

Did anyone come across a situation where one did provide the sources and still received the plagiarism email? Cos I fail to understand what is acceptable and what is unacceptable even after providing the sources.

21. Actuary_07

Actuary_07 Keen member

I did provide all the references and still got the mail stating that you have references drawn from the ActEd material or the examiner's report.
    What do they really want?
    Can someone please help and advise on what they have done to successfully refute these claims?

Ashwin Shrivastava likes this.