Typing tips?

Discussion in 'CS2' started by zubbo, Apr 3, 2021.

1. zubbo

zubbo Keen member

Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been asked previously (did a quick scan of the topics, couldn't find anything), but how are you all coping with typing up your answers in word? I am relatively comfortable with the material and am practicing R, but feel like I really need to work on typing the answers for Paper A much faster and want to spend the next 2 weeks working on that.

Does anyone have any tips in this regard? Would be much appreciated.

Regards
    Z

2. John Potter

John Potter ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Do EVERYTHING in your script, signpost your exam, comment, loads of #s etc. Then at the end, run the lot and copy/paste your console into Word. Just make sure that you keep track of graphs. I would probably do this procedure one question at a time, so that I don't miss any graphs,

Good luck!
    John

Bill SD likes this.
  3. zubbo

zubbo Keen member

Thank you John! Really appreciate the advice for Paper B.

Do you have a similar tips for Paper A? That's the area I'm really struggling with. I'm used to writing out the equations by hand as part of solving the questions, but find myself having to double the work to solve it by hand, then type it once I've gotten the answer.

4. Andrew Martin

Andrew Martin ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Lots of practice in Word! You may want to practice solving all or parts directly in Word rather than first doing them by hand. You can always scribble the odd thing down by hand as you work through the question. However you may find that more difficult in the end so it's up to you what you do on the day of the exam. You need to practice and decide on the best approach for you.

You may also find our video about online exams helpful:

https://www.acted.co.uk/sitting_online_exams.html

All the best

Andy

5. mgh

mgh Active Member

I'm having the same problem. I think there'll hopefully be some MCQs on the paper (there were on Sep 20) for which we can just solve on paper and put the answer in as I'm not sure if we would get any working marks for MCQs anyway

6. Andrew Martin

Andrew Martin ActEd Tutor Staff Member

You can also copy and paste something you've already written in the exam (but NOT from external sources). So you may want to copy a line and paste it and edit it as you work through a question. This can save some time.

Andy

7. Helloall

Helloall Very Active Member

Although i dont believe we are allowed to copy and paste from excel into word. I read on the marking sheet in the 2020 exam paper A this is not allowed.

8. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

The rules have changed this session. You can copy numbers in from Excel but you must still show all your working.

9. mgh

mgh Active Member

Can I check for MCQs we can in-fact just show no working (as it wouldn't gain any marks), only the correct answer will gain marks? Or is it good to put some working down for them?

10. Darrell Chainey

Darrell Chainey ActEd Tutor Staff Member