1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Sept 15 Q2 ILF inflation term

Discussion in 'SP8' started by ProCyclist, Apr 2, 2016.

1. ProCyclist

ProCyclist Member

Quick q for anyone able to help!

Given the ILFs are appropriate on 1/1/2012 and we will write the reinsurance policy on 1/10/2015 I can see why the inflation factor is 1.06^(3.75). However when I saw the question first time I would have assumed that the period would have been 4.75 as the average policy would be incepted 6 months after the start and the average claims on those policies would occur a further 6 months later i.e. 1/10/2016.

I used this assumption and carried on with my calculation and naturally got a different answer.

So my question is would i have been able to get any marks under this assumption? does the assumption even hold or am I missing something?

Thanks!

2. The clue is in the question. The ILF is for contracts written on 1 Jan 2012. So for a contract written on 1/10/2015, that's 3.75 years.

3. ProCyclist

ProCyclist Member

thank you morning crescent for the swift reply! much appreciated:)

4. gdmiccc

gdmiccc Member

I have a different question about Sept 2015 Q2 which is confusing me. For the last part of the question, the examiner's solution calculates the ILF for 5m xs 5m as 6.96 – 4.26 = 2.70, which is the answer that I got when I tried it myself. However, the ASET solution goes a step further and divides the new ILFs by the ILF for the basic limit i.e. (6.96/0.804) - (4.26/0.804) = 3.36
    I don't understand why this is done.

5. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

That's an error in the examiners' solution. The Core Reading has since been changed (see formula 3.4 chpt 15 page 24), and ASET uses it correctly.