1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Chapter 9 - Qn 9.10

Discussion in 'SA3' started by vidhya36, Feb 22, 2021.

1. vidhya36

vidhya36 Very Active Member

How did they calculate DAC in question 9.10

I tried treating it as unearned commission; also, as 55% of UPR carried forward to the next year.

In both the cases, the answers are not matching to the answer provided in the book. Can someone help me with the missing piece here, please.

Thanks

2. Darren Michaels

Darren Michaels ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Its 17.5% of the UPR

So for 2017:

UPR b/f = 90 hence DAC b/f=15.75

UPR c/f = 55%*250=137.50 hence DAC c/f = 24.063

vidhya36 likes this.
  3. vidhya36

vidhya36 Very Active Member

Thanks, Darren.

4. I have a query regarding the same question, so using the same thread.
    When calculating the numbers for the 3-year accounting of Company B (the reinsurer) I could match all my answers to the solution except the following.

When 2017 claims reserve was released amounting to 4.05 this was recognised partially in 2018 and remainder in 2019. That is, 50% recognised in 2018 and 50% carried forward to its final year of account that is in 2019. First of all why 50-50? Is it because 2 open years of account are left so the recognition of the release is split equally?

And if so, why was this not replicated for the 2018 release of 12.27? Why was 66% of it amounting to 8.18 recognised in 2019 and only 33% carried forward?

As such, neither of these seemed intuitive to me, as I considered the recognition of surplus to be done equally across 3 Years of Account, so I would split these as 1/3rd. That is 33% in each year. So I think I am missing some crucial understanding here. Please correct me and help me gain better clarity on this aspect. Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2021
  5. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The 2.03 is not half of 4.05, it's the loss recognised at the end of 2017 from the 2017 account. See the fourth line in the solution.