1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Excel and Performance Attribution

Discussion in 'SP5' started by Studystuff, Apr 5, 2021.

1. Studystuff

Studystuff Very Active Member

Hi Colin,

I am struggling to figure out how to do a performance attribution question in microsoft word. Do you know if its possible to do it in excel and copy over to word doc?

Thank!

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

There is advice on how to use excel on the professions website. It should not be more difficult to produce a table of results in word than it was in the days when students had a calculator, pen and paper though, so using excel for calculations only should be relatively easy. Bear in mind that the examiners are unlikely to click into a cell that is copied across, in order to see what formula has been used in there. So putting workings in word is often advisable.

3. Studystuff

Studystuff Very Active Member

On the professions website it states you can 1.use excel for calculations and 2. Results must be shown fully in the word document..

I don’t think I am exactly following what you are saying above. For example - if I was to do the full PA calc in excel, making sure to make it detailed and intiutatuve (rather than hard coding numbers into formulas). Once this is done can can simply copy and paste this full table into my Microsoft word document ?

4. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi, We at ActEd couldnt comment on hypothetical situations here as we are not making the rules. What I mentioned above was that it is unlikely an examiner will click inside a cell of a copied spreadsheet to see how the number has been calculated. So whether you hard code a cell or put in formulae is likely to be irrelevant.