1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

assessment regulations: copy-paste and modifying

Discussion in 'CS1' started by Stephan Langmaak, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Stephan Langmaak

Stephan Langmaak Keen member

Dear Sir / Madam,

Regulation 36 in the Assessment Regulations states: "Candidates are strictly prohibited from using the copy and paste function or re-typing content word-for-word, whether memorised or referenced, from any source or multiple sources, such material may be used for consultation purposes only."

Does this also mean that during the exam, we are not allowed to copy and paste formulae from a self-prepared Word or Excel file (that contains all the important formulas) and then ADJUST the formulae as required to answer the exam questions? For me that is a bit of a grey zone, because I am not really copy and pasting information directly, but only using that as a starting point that will not remain in the original form when I submit the exam.

If this is not permitted, what is certainly allowed is to print out the notes and type out the formulae manually during the exam (as the exams are open book), right?

What my question is basically aiming at is the question whether we can save time during the exams to copy and paste basic formulae and the adjust these as required to not have to retype these formulae manually.

My question is not only aimed at the CS1A exam, but also at CS1B.

Best regards,

Stephan

2. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

I would say that this is not allowed

3. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

You are welcome to address this to the IFoA's examinations team (who are responsible for the exams - rather than ActEd or students on this forum) at examinations@actuaries.org.uk

But as I understand the regulations, the answer is a definite no.

4. Stephan Langmaak

OK, thanks a lot.

5. Milly

Milly Member

Is copying and pasting okay for R though?

6. KT33

KT33 Made first post

The IFoA have just shared an updated version of the Assessment regulation: https://www.actuaries.org.uk/system/files/field/document/IFoA_Assessment_Regulations_FellAssoc_202103.pdf

Paragraph 31. has changed from (in the version dated 01/2021):
    "31. Candidates are allowed the use their own Formulae and Table books during the assessment. Any material (which could include electronic or hard copy Core Reading, tutorial material and supplementary materials including notes that the Candidate has made as part of their studying or sources from the internet) are permitted other than those which include e-templates and any electronic files which contain pre-existing calculations which are prohibited. Candidates are strictly prohibited from using the copy and paste function or re-typing content word-for-word, whether memorised or referenced, from any source or multiple sources, such material may be used for consultation purposes only."

to

"31. Candidates are allowed the use their own Formulae and Table books during the assessment. Any learning resources are permitted other than those which include e-templates and any electronic files which contain pre-existing calculations which are prohibited. Candidates should refer to Section 10 of these regulations for further guidance."

So the reference to copy-paste has been removed however the pre-existing calculation exclusion still stands.

The other notable change is for paragraph 33, from:
    "33. Candidates are allowed to use any standard function available in Excel, Word and R but this excludes the use of Macros and the use of functions which are only available in versions of Microsoft Office released after 2010, including but not limited to the function “Dictate”. Candidates must complete their assessment using keyboard entry only, unless the IFoA have agreed the use of dictation or handwriting conversion software as part of an access arrangement. Candidates are not allowed to use functions that allow the saving of information (for example, formulae that can be retrieved at a later point in the examination)."

to

"33. Candidates are allowed to use any standard function available in Excel, Word and R but this excludes the use of Macros.. Candidates must complete their assessment using keyboard entry only, unless the IFoA have agreed the use of dictation or handwriting conversion software as part of an access arrangement. Images incorporated into the examination script will not be marked."

So images, presumably from Excel/R/other working documents are no longer marked. I wonder then if the removal of the copy/paste ban means that working from Excel/R is now allowed to be pasted into Word as long as it's not an image (so pasted in as a table in Word format or as text)...?

7. Studystuff

Studystuff Very Active Member

I would be interested to hear other peoples take on this? I am very confused if copy and paste from excel is allowed or not

8. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

9. Stephan Langmaak

But with regards to R, we are allowed (and actually have to) copy and paste everything (including graphical output), right? Point 3 in the CS1 Paper B Assessment Instructions states: "Candidates MUST include the R code used to obtain their answers, together with the main R output produced, in the Word document." Point 8 then specifically refers to graphical output: "Candidates MUST include appropriate titles, axes labels, and where relevant, legends in all graphical output that is generated in R for inclusion in the Word document."

10. Stephan Langmaak

I personally think it would be good if all the various documents with (sometimes) conflicting/unclear information on the assessment regulations/instructions would be collected in one central document with appropriate chapters for the various exams.

11. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Yes, we think that statement in the rules overlooks the need to copy images in Paper B and in CP2. We think its intended to stop students scanning in hand written answers. There's no change to Paper B.