1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Frequency-Severity approach and Burning Cost approach examples of Exposure Rating?

Discussion in 'SP8' started by gdmiccc, Mar 28, 2021.

?

The Frequency-Severity approach and the Burning Cost approach are examples of

Poll closed Oct 14, 2021.
  1. Exposure Rating

25.0%
  2. Experience Rating

75.0%
  3. Neither of the above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gdmiccc

gdmiccc Member

The core reading mentions Exposure rating and Experience rating and I'm just wondering if the Frequency-Severity approach and/or Burning Cost approach fall into one of those two categories or are they neither?

2. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

Experience rating just means that atleast part of your premium is based on past experience of the risk being priced.
    Exposure rating on the other hand means that pricing is based fully on external data.

So whether or not the F/S approach or Burning Cost approaches is experience or exposure rating would depend on the sources of our data.

In practice, I think we tend to use past observed experience (atleast in part), so that would make it experience rating. However, I do not see why we cannot take for example industry benchmarks data and apply these methods, if say internal observed data was not available. For me they are just different methods that can be applied to any sets of data as long as they are in the required format needed to carry out these approaches.

That's my thoughts anyway, please correct me if I'm thinking of this in the wrong way.

gdmiccc likes this.
  3. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Spot on! The definition of burning cost includes the words 'historical claim', so sort of implies it's going to be experience rating. But more generically, people think of burning cost methods as just depending on past claims (wherever those may be from), and F/S methods as more granular than BC (as they look at F and S separately).

gdmiccc likes this.