1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Fundamental Equity Analysis

Discussion in 'SP5' started by Studystuff, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Studystuff

Studystuff Very Active Member

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me with the concept of fundamental equity analysis. I understand what this process is trying to do but I dont understand how this ties in with growth/value investors. Am I correct in saying that only a value investor would buy shares on the basis of the intrinsic value vs market value result? Whereas a growth investor wouldnt particularly use this method they would focus on growth rates?

So even if a share appears expensiive on the basis of FA, a growth investor believes that earnings revisions in the future could make this stock eventually appear cheap?

Thanks!

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi,
    I wouldnt have said that growth shares cannot be selected using fundamental analysis. FA is basically looking at the fundamentals of a share and deciding whether you think its price represents good value. As you say, a value stock looks good value on one basis, and a good fundamental analyst could select between value shares using FA. But a growth share might also look good value based on another basis, and a fundamental analyst would select between the growth shares using FA.
    The "value" part of the title can be off-putting. Just because a share ticks all the "growth" boxes, doesnt mean that it cannot represent good value at its current price. A fundamental analyst would not always use 'low PE' 'high dividend yield' as the fundamentals for selecting a share. High growth is also a fundamental is you see what I mean.
    Hope this helps.

3. Studystuff

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reply. This section is causing me particular confusion so Id really appreciate if you could help me clear this up in my head.

Could you break down for me what the difference is between FA, value investing and growth investing. I think these are just getting a bit muddled in my head, especially "value" investing vs FA. I might describe my current knowledge and you could see where I am going wrong.

FA - Calculate the intrinsic value based on company fundamentals, if price is lower than intrinsic value this is a good proposition to purchase.

"Value investing" -
    buying securities that an investor believes are underpriced by some form of fundamental analysis. (ActEd, 09/2020) (This seems the exact same to me as what fundamental analysis is?)

Growth investing -
    Growth investors look to invest in companies that the investor expects to grow faster than average when compared to the market or to the industry in which the company operates. growth investors believe that these stocks will grow more rapidly or will be subject to positive earnings revisions in the near term. (ActEd, 09/2020) Clearly these shares are experiencing high growth.
    based on FA these shares could show good value now or could appear overvalued now based on current projection but investors believe due to earnings revisions in the future the current price could appear to be good value.

I think my main confusion is the difference between value investing and FA

Cheers Colin I really appreciate your time

4. Colin McKee

"Value investing" -
    buying securities that an investor believes are underpriced by some form of fundamental analysis. (ActEd, 09/2020) (This seems the exact same to me as what fundamental analysis is?)

Sounds OK to me. Value investing is investing money in shares that have "value" qualities. These are typically low PE, high dividend yield and a high accounting or book value compared to its market cap. So if BP is on a 14 times PE, has a yield of 5% and has an accounting value that is almost as high as its market cap, then it may be a value stock. Value investors weight such stocks very heavily. Some may even only select from these shares.

Growth investing -
    Growth investors look to invest in companies that the investor expects to grow faster than average when compared to the market or to the industry in which the company operates. growth investors believe that these stocks will grow more rapidly or will be subject to positive earnings revisions in the near term

This sounds OK too. So Amazon may be on 140 times PE ratio, and have a yield of less than 1%, but if the earnings are going to grow at 25% pa for 10 years, the stock may perform well. Growth investors would weight heavily to these stocks.

FA - Calculate the intrinsic value based on company fundamentals, if price is lower than intrinsic value this is a good proposition to purchase.

This sounds OK. Both Amazon and BP could be described as having a price that is lower than some "intrinsic" value, and seem like a good proposition. It depends what you believe as a fundamental analyst.
    If fundamental analysts are looking for a price that is cheap relative to current profits and dividends then they will tend towards value stocks. If they look for prices that are cheap with respect to future prospects then they will tend to growth stocks. But fundamental analysis is about looking at a company's fundamentals to decide which ones to pick (as opposed to technical analysis which looks at past price behaviour). Value stocks and growth stocks are just two ways of subdividing the universe of stocks.
    I think that the easiest form of fundamental analysis will tend to lead you towards value stocks though.

5. Studystuff

Thanks very much colin! I get the picture now.

I previously thought FA gave a single answer but I now see how different investors may use it in different ways i.e PE ratio or more forward looking!

Just for clarification - would the use of the discount dividend model be more of a holistic approach in which value/growth isnt considered or would this favour growth stocks?

6. Colin McKee

Dividend discount model (DDM) is maybe one tool that can be used in fundamental analysis. It uses growth of dividends as an input, which would come from the analysts assessment of the company fundamentals, so its (sort of) linked to fundamental analysis. Whether it favours value or growth I couldnt say. There is no reason why a growth share could not turn out to be good value relative to its share price, if the DDM uses a high enough growth assumption. And there is no reason why a value stock might not look good value. (At the moment for example, value stocks give 4% yield or more, discount rates are 1.5%, so even using 0% growth on a value stock is going to give quite a high value. )