1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

GNPI vs GGPI 2019 April Q2 (i)

Discussion in 'SA3' started by johnpaul1234, Feb 20, 2021.

1. johnpaul1234

johnpaul1234 Member

The question asked about the differences between using GNPI and GGPI for rate monitoring

The solution has a bullet point says
    "Excluding acquisition costs (using GNPI) gives a truer reflection of each insurer's profitability, as it reflects more closely the net financial position of the insurer."

Let say the premium income without acquisition cost is £100, acquisition cost is £20, and loss is £50
    Is the GNPI = 100
    and GGPI = 100 + 20 = 120 ?
    So, LR using GNPI = 50/100 = 50%, LR using GGPI = 50/120 = 41.67% ?

I agreed with the solution that using GNPI gives truer reflection of profitability, but isnt that INCL as apposed to EXCL acquisition cost? Can anyone explain? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2021
  2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I agree your figures, but I'm not sure what you're challenging here, as GNPI does indeed exclude acquisition costs (by definition)?

Ppan13 likes this.