Interest Rate Risk - Management of Market Risk

Discussion in 'SP9' started by Dar_Shan0209, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Dar_Shan0209

Dar_Shan0209 Ton up Member

Hi tutors,

From the Core Reading, i understand that there are 2 types of interest rate risk: Direct and Indirect. To hedge direct exposure we make use of FRA and caps/floors of interest rates. For indirect exposure we make use of cashflow matching, immunisation and hedging using model points. Page 26 talks about interest rate swaps and swaption. I reckon that these are 2 another ways to hedge interest rate risks, but do they fall under direct exposure or under indirect exposure? I kind of agree if it would be an indirect exposure given we might need to enter into swaps for future payments linked to LIBOR for e.g. but just thinking whether it can be under direct exposure as well?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  2. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Darshan,

Interesting question. Here's my thinking on this ...

By managing direct interest rate risk, indirect interest rate risk is managed too - in the sense that if the size of cashflows are managed then the value of cashflows has also been managed. The reverse is not true, i.e. managing indirect interest rate risk does not necessarily manage direct interest rate risk.

A swap can be considered as being equivalent to a series of forward rate agreements. Hence swaps can be used to manage direct interest rate risk.

A swaption is an option to enter into a swap. As such, just as for options on interest rates (caps and floors), a swaption can also be used to manage direct interest rate risk.

Do you agree with my thinking?

Kind regards

David

3. Dar_Shan0209

Dar_Shan0209 Ton up Member

Thanks David - definitely makes sense!