Exam Regulations April 2021

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Qayanaat, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

Hi All,

I genuinely think no student would deliberately try to break any rules, but it can be tricky if we are not 100% clear on what the rules and regs are, especially if they keep changing!

Hence, I'm creating this group so that people can ask for clarifications if they are in doubt of any rules.
    If people would like to post questions that they feel are unclear and in two week's time or so, I can collate all the questions and forward to the IFOA and post the response here if they reply.

No need to post answers unless it's very clear what the answer is by stating a rule we've missed. The exam regs have been updated but not the FAQs yet.

Thanks all & best of luck for the April 2021 exam!

2. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

Qu: Seeking clarification on rules with regards to definition questions? Are we still allowed to give the word-for-word glossary definitions for the April 2021 exam, or do we need to rephrase them?

3. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

4. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

Re. definition questions:

"We recognise that answers to some questions in our examinations, such as asking for ‘definitions’ or ‘listing principles’, may have been memorised as part of your revision strategy. These could be identical or very similar to the contents of your learning materials. Examiners and markers will be familiar with these questions, and candidates will not generally be investigated for plagiarism where such similarity is identified. However, if you use direct quotations from your learning materials to answer other questions, you should acknowledge this with a page or line number in the body of your answer, plus author's name and year of publication."

Re. Excel: The below doesn't say we cannot copy paste calculations from Excel, just that we need to ensure calculations appear in full - sounds fair. I'm guessing we are allowed to copy paste calcs from Excel so (instead of re-typing in word), but just make sure to explain the steps? Correct me please if anyone thinks differently, thanks.

"Most of the examination subjects require the answers to be provided in Microsoft Word. The exceptions to this are CP2, CM1 Paper B and CM2 Paper B which require the use of Excel. When sitting subjects which require answers to be provided in Word, you may wish to use another software package to aid with calculations. It should be noted however that any calculations should appear in full in your Word answer script to ensure you receive the appropriate marks. If you do not display your full workings then examiners will not be able to assess how your answer was determined, and full marks may not be awarded."

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  5. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

6. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

Good spot ! In this case, I'd probably go for the safer option and avoid copying word for word, eliminating the need to reference.

7. almost_there

almost_there Member

Not generally investigated. What does that mean?

Using direct quotations from learning materials to answer other questions- what?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2021
  8. Qayanaat

Qayanaat Ton up Member

I think by "other questions", they mean questions other than "definition-type" or "listing principles-types" questions.

9. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Agreed - I would interpret "Other" to be all question types not referred to previously.

10. almost_there

almost_there Member

What kind of "direct quotations" are they talking about?