SP 9 Advice

Discussion in 'SP9' started by vikky, Feb 6, 2021.

1. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

Hello all, Hope you are well and safe in these crazy times.
    I was looking for some advice for SP9.
    Its been over 7 years since I gave exams and was wanting to explore the art of the possible of giving SP9 in April this year.
    I could possibly manage a day a week holiday till the 23rd of April.
    I have done a fair amount of SII Internal Model calibration work and was hoping this would hold me in good stead for SP9.
    Any thoughts?

2. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Vikky,
    It sounds like you might have around 12 study days available. Personally, when I studied for this exam I spent very much longer than that - to get through the huge amount of reading, reflect on it, and practise past exam questions. I still didn't feel confident going into the exam! Having said that, I didn't have your practical experience, and I think that this will certainly help you as the exam is very applied in nature.
    I'll be very interested to read what other forum contributors think.
    Best wishes
    David

3. Hi Vikky

I found the past exams extremely helpful, much more so than the notes. Given that you have some decent background in the field, I would suggest that the bulk of your prep time goes into working through past exams.

Lets go on the assumption that you can get through 3 past exams in a full day of studying. If you were to go through all past exams(ST9 and SP9 - 2010-2020) this will take more than 7 days.

You might find it valuable to go through these exams again, to cement any ideas/concepts. That may take another 5 days, since you could go through the exams slightly faster the second time around. Concentrate especially on the longer case-study-like questions.

Now this is all good and well, but you may have to work through the notes to understand some concepts that you may not have worked with. I would bring this into consideration.

ERM is an interesting subject, and alot of the exam is outside of the box thinking. By going through past exams you should concentrate on training yourself to apply your mind to previously unseen scenarios.

All in all, with 12 study days you may be able to make it, but you might have to put in some time over weekends.It is doable, but you’ll have to study hard.

Best of luck!

4. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

Many thanks for your replies David and Jannus. Very helpful.
    Have thought long and hard and will give it a go for April. Best foot forward, fingers crossed.