1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

No underwriting if join at first opportunity

Discussion in 'SP1' started by MindFull, Dec 5, 2020.

1. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

Hi,

The chapter 5 solution states that parents who join at the first opportunity of the scheme can forego underwriting. Is this because even though sick parents would also join at first opportunity, the lack of underwriting is meant to increase the total number of parents who join?

Thanks.

2. mugono

mugono Ton up Member

Hi,
    More people (e.g. those who do not have access to the notes) might be able to help if you provided more context. The benefit feature you describe appears to try to strike a balance between reducing lapses whilst managing the risk of being selected against.

3. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

Thanks for the suggestion. It was a practice question about a group CI plan offered to the parents of children at a prep school. The premium is supposed to be paid through any school fees if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if lapses are a part of the answer only because I haven't reached the Assumptions chapters yet.

Thanks.

4. FT58

FT58 Member

I think you're right. Underwriting is used to avoid anti selection against the insurer. There's a much higher risk of anti selection from a parent who chooses not to join the scheme initially but then decides to join later (as maybe they are experiencing early warning signs of a critical illness and want insurance) than a parent who joins as soon as they are offered insurance. There may also be an element of forgoing underwriting initially to attract more customers to join.

5. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

Hi Anna,
    Just wanted to check that the above is correct.
    Thank you.