Taking more exams during lockdown? What to take with CS2.

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Milly, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Milly

Milly Member

Hey guys. Does anyone think they're going to take more exams than usual with the extra restrictions in place? I’m also a bit stuck on what else to take with CS2 this April without setting myself too much.

My exemptions were
    CS1 CB1 SP0

My September exams were
    CM1 CB2

So ones I have left are
    CM2 CB3 CP1 CP2 CP3 SP7/8 and SA3

does anyone have any advice or is anyone else going to take more exams due to lockdown?

also not essential but any ideas which to pick out of SP7 or SP8 for later down the line?

Thanks!

2. Terran85

Terran85 Active Member

What do you mean pick? You need to do at least 2 SPs.

I guess you are in GI, then it is common to do both SP7 and SP8.

Milly likes this.
  3. Milly

Milly Member

Sorry I didn’t make it clear, one of my exemptions I listed is SP0 so I only have to do one SP. thanks though.

4. RedCoat

RedCoat Member

Do you work in pricing and/or reserving and/or capital?

Milly likes this.
  5. Milly

Milly Member

I’m on a rotational scheme where I’ll do all 3 over 3 years (1 year in now)

6. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Milly

Other students will have lots of advice for you I'm sure. But I just want to point out that SP7 and SP8 are both presumed knowledge for SA3, so you'll need to study both very well indeed regardless of which one you sit as an exam (although thankfully there's quite a bit of overlap). SP7 is a bit more 'wordy', SP8 is a bit more 'mathsy'. Pass rates for SP7 have in the past been a bit lower and more volatile than those for SP8. Maybe when the time comes, have a look at the Study Guide for each on our website, and pick the one that interests you most.

Ian

Milly likes this.
  7. laura_mils

laura_mils Active Member

I think you could do CP2 or CP3 without giving yourself too much to do. Or I would consider CB3, but I think that depends on how much work you want to put in this sitting.

I also am in GI and got the SP0 exemption, I have mostly worked in Reserving and only done 2 years in Pricing, so I decided to do SP8 as had worked in in the area less so thought it would help my understanding further.
    Although, I was also governed by how the exams fell with what else I wanted to sit and how many days it gave me between exams...

But like Ian said, when I sat SA3 in April, I had to read and study SP7 in detail as SA3 relies heavily on both the SP7/8. So you're going to have to read both regardless to help with SA3!

Milly likes this.