Results Accuracy

Discussion in 'CS1' started by Elton Tanaka Zinyemba, Aug 23, 2020.

1. I'd like to ask if during this September sitting(2020) any reference to the tables for values and interpolation be it probability or others is still a necessity or I can use statistical packages like R to get the exact values or there is a certain degree of accuracy that is expected if so I'd like to know it specifically. I've noted this in most of the CLT revisions.

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

From the IFoA's FAQ page:

Can I use Excel to help construct my answers?
    Most of the examination subjects require the answers to be provided in Microsoft Word. The exceptions to this are CP2, CM1 Paper B and CM2 Paper B. When sitting other subjects, you may find it useful to use Microsoft Excel to aid with the construction of your answers. If you do this you must copy and paste any Excel content into your final submitted Word document.

However, in the CS2 Guidance for Candidates sitting the exams in September 2020 from that page, the solution to Q7 says:

1. Calculations pasted in from another application (e.g. Excel or R) will NOT be accepted.

So, there is currently a mixed message.

My advice - play safe. Only use Excel for basic calculations for probabilities that would require interpolation.

Hopefully, the Profession will clarify things more as we get closer to the exam.

3. Okay thank you

John Lee likes this.