Did you pass? CP2 CP3 April 2020

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Binati, Jul 23, 2020.

?

Did you pass? CP2 CP3 April 2020

1. Sat for CP2 and passed

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  2. Sat for CP2 and failed

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. Sat for both, passed CP2

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Sat for both, passed CP3

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. Sat for both, passed both

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Sat for both, failed both

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  7. Sat for CP3 and passed

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  8. Sat for CP3 and failed

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Binati

Binati Member

Please respond to understand how the pass rate has been for April 2020 sitting!

2. almost_there

almost_there Member

Does IFoA not want people to know the pass rates anymore?!?! It's a new low every day.

Binati likes this.
  3. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

Hi binati, can you please tell where this will be further published?

4. Binati

Binati Member

Hi, no where! this is just for us so that we can gauge the pass rate given the institute has not released the pass mark or the solutions

5. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

Oh okay. Cool. The way you phrased it seemed like a research publication kind of approach.

Binati likes this.
  6. peacep

peacep Member

I am so vexed! I failed CP3 but I'm not going to accept it. The IFOA must have mixed up my paper or something. No way in the world I failed.

Sindy, almost_there and Binati like this.
  7. Binati

Binati Member

I am trying to understand whether they have been more strict in this session than usual or not - although these two exams have been online always, but I dont think they have been lenient due to covid and these trying times

8. phos2

phos2 Member

What did you score?

9. peacep

peacep Member

41! I have never seen such a score since I have been writing IFOA exams!. I wrote it last year and i was one mark shy of the cutoff(scored 56). I was surprised but I let it go cause I believed there was room for improvement on my part.

I went back to studying. I STUDIED. I didn't practice writing the essay in my first sitting but this time around I actually practiced essay writing and got someone to review. I was aiming for 80. I was so happy after the exam because I was so sure I wrote the exam very well. So imagine my shock to see 41! Like, did i submit a blank sheet?

When i scored 56 the last time, I didn't even answer question 2! I was 8 months pregnant and so ill. This time around, I finished the report, finished question 2, had time to review all I wrote and was very happy and confident in what I did before I clicked submit.

To see a score of 41!!!!! Is the IFOA playing a joke on me?! I'm totally confused and in shock!

almost_there likes this.
  10. AlexLky

AlexLky Very Active Member

I failed the last sitting with what I thought was a good attempt. I sat this one and I thought for sure that I failed but passed somehow. Marking is clearly so subjective - I think it's a pointless exam and deserves to be discontinued (along with CT9).

11. peacep

peacep Member

I don't care about them been lenient due to covid. I just need them to be clear in their marking. I don't understand them!

Binati likes this.
  12. phos2

phos2 Member

A friend at work had a similar score and he did not think it went that bad either. I think it was the approach as it was hard to call how much detail they wanted - really sorry to hear, hopefully next attempt goes better.

13. peacep

peacep Member

I have sent the IFOA an email. I want to see my script and also have it remarked. I just can't accept this. I'm in tears cos I worked sooooooo hard for this exam. I don't understand.

almost_there likes this.
  14. phos2

phos2 Member

Do you still have your original script? What level of detail did you go into with the pricing etc? I remember I didn't even mention p-values, just spoke in very general terms, had 4 sections etc. I think exam reports are out tomorrow so should know for sure

15. Binati

Binati Member

yeah you have your script with you right, you can compare it to the solution they post
    p-values was extra information that they 100% did not want us to include as it was unnecessary given the audience we were addressing in the qn

16. Terran85

Terran85 Active Member

First time doing cp3 and passed.

I highly recommend tutorial, it helped me a lot with preparation.

17. Sindy

Sindy Keen member

Is there any way to request a mark breakdown from IFOA?

18. Satk

Satk Active Member

Yes, drop a mail to data.protection@actuaries.org.uk asking marks breakdown for your exam. Give details like ARN, exam you appeared. It may take up to 30 days to get a response.

Sindy likes this.