April 2019 Q7

Discussion in 'SP5' started by newkid, Apr 28, 2020.

1. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

Bit late in the day but could someone show me the calcs for the information ratio and tracking error - just for one of the funds.

Nimisha likes this.
  2. Gresham Arnold

Gresham Arnold ActEd Tutor Staff Member

For Fund A

The individual annual returns for the fund are: 5%, 10% and 0.6536% giving an annualised return of 5.15%, and the benchmark returns were -1%, 4%, 1% giving an annualised return for the benchmark of 1.31%.

So the relative returns were +6%, +6%, –0.346% which have a mean of 3.88%.

The tracking error is the annualised standard deviation of the relative performance of the fund against its benchmark.

So, we can calculate the tracking error as 3.66%.

The information ratio is defined in the course (Chapter 22) as relative return divided by tracking error

Therefore the information ratio is 1.06 (3.88%/3.66%)

[It was possible to use 5.15% - 1.31% = 3.84% on the top line, which gives a similar result.]

3. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

Thanks Gresham, can you just show me the calc for the 3.66% - it was the only part that i couldn't figure out - i may be doing something stupid.

4. Nimisha

Nimisha Member

You just need to add the following (relative return-mean of relative returns) and then square it and divide it by n-1 i:e 3-1 here.
    Its just the formula for the standard deviationi:e summation(x -mean)^2/n-1.