S2016-Q7

Discussion in 'SP5' started by Nimisha, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Nimisha

Nimisha Member

Hi
    For the stock selection of the equities, for Year 1, I am getting 0.625 x (9.92% - 8.67%) = 0.78% - the solution shows 1%. This is just the actual % invested x (actual return - benchmark return).
    I am calculating the stock selection for bonds in a similar way and again, this is not working out. For Year 1 I have 0.325 x (2.9% - 4%).
    For the sector asset allocation, now including the cash, I am also not getting the right answer. The numbers I have for Year 1 are: (0.625 - 0.6) x (8.67% - 6.8%) + (0.325 - 0.4) x (4% - 6.8%) + (0.05 - 0) x (0% - 6.8%) = -0.08%
    But my answers don't match.Pls help.Also the Sector asset allocation ques of part 1 bullet point 3,does it mean we have to ignore cash?In the above calculation I have included cash but the ques states that btw equities and bonds.

2. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Nimsha,
    In our ASET we lay out two alternative methods of performing the attribution.
    Your answers (0.78% and -0.08%) agree with our answers under the first method we use ('Method 1') :).
    The examiners adopted a different approach ('Method 2').
    We believe either approach would have scored fully in this exam. Indeed in the Examiners' Report they stated that there were a number of potential solutions, and it was possible to gain full marks irrespective of the method used.
    Best wishes
    David

Nimisha likes this.