April 2017 - Question 2i

Discussion in 'SA3' started by zuglubuglu, Apr 8, 2020.

1. zuglubuglu

zuglubuglu Member

The question asks to identify six different types of buyers of insurers and it has 9 marks. One would expect that there is
    • a mark for listing the type of buyer (say small business) and half a mark for listing why,
    • half a mark for listing the type and a mark why or
    • half a mark for listing the type and half a mark for each reason why.
    Yet the marking scheme has tends to award half a mark for listing the type of client and half a mark for listing why, essentially a mark per client. Isn't this misleading ? (Ironic given that the question is about fairness)

2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Can you double-check the exam/date? I can't find that bit....

3. laura_mils

laura_mils Member

April 2017, i think

4. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Thanks, yes, it's April 2017. I'll change the thread title to reflect the correct year.

Each of the points in the solution is short, and not particularly difficult (although obviously that's a matter of opinion!). It's not unreasonable to expect, therefore, each thing you say to be worth half a mark. So, given it asks for 6 things but there are 9 marks available, you might expect half a mark for each buyer, and half a mark for each supporting statement - which means more than one supporting statement for each buyer (noting that there is more to say about some buyers than others). So pretty much the third bullet point in your options above.