1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Ch18-Risk Control-Back ques

Discussion in 'SP5' started by Nimisha, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Nimisha

Nimisha Very Active Member

Hi
    I would be grateful if someone could explain on how Variance of A and Variance of B has been calculated in the formula for minimum variance portfolio proportions in Ques 18.3,pg 29 of Ch 18 .

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I am not sure I understand the question. In Q18.3 you are given the standard deviation of all three assets, those being 10%, 5% and 5%. the variances used in the solution are simply the square of those standard deviations. (It is possible that you may be looking at an older set of notes as there was an errata on that question prior to the latest course notes. the standard deviation column was missing from the question, making it impossible to solve).

3. Nimisha

Hi Colin
    Thank you for replying.I am using the latest course notes but still the question only has the Annual returns of the 3 asset classes 10%,7%,5% ,the risk free rate=4% and the asset class correlations matrix.I don't see any column of standard deviation in the question.

4. Gresham Arnold

Gresham Arnold ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Nimisha

Apologies, can I just check, do you definitely have the Course Notes for the 2020 exams? This sounds remarkably like an error that was in this question in the Course Notes for the 2019 exams. We issued a correction; click here for the relevant page on our website and then download the SP5 corrections doc for the 2019 materials. I hope that sorts this out for you? Apologies for the confusion.

Best wishes
    Gresham

5. Nimisha

Hi
    Yes,I just checked its the 2019 study material.Thanks for clearing this,I was unnecessarily getting worried else.
    Regards