MS office version for CP 2 _April 2020 session

Discussion in 'CP2' started by Satk, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Satk

Satk Active Member

I am appearing for CP 2 for the first time from IFoA. In past papers it is mentioned that solution sheets needs to be saved in. docx and. xlsx format.
    I have MS office 2007 version which saves files in above mentioned format.
    I also checked the online VLE with test download and upload and it is working fine.
    Though online resource requirements suggest minimum MS office version should be 2010.

Is it fine, if I continue with MS office 2007 version?

2. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

You risk being sent Excel files that use functions in 2010 onwards that aren't in 2007.

3. ntickner

ntickner Very Active Member

You should be fine - the files you receive with the exam should only have data in them, with no formulas. There are some formulas in later versions which make life easier, but you shouldn't be penalised for not having these in your solution.

4. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

That's not the case in paper 2

5. ntickner

ntickner Very Active Member

Good point.

However, the point of the exam is largely to test communication, with some basic modelling skills as well. It's not trying to test knowledge of cutting edge Excel functions. There isn't going to be anything in the Paper 2 spreadsheet which will not work in Excel 2007.

6. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

I don't think you can assume that if the technical requirements require 2010 as a minimum.