Coronavirus effect on exams

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Act_SMC, Mar 11, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

But the reason it's sept 2020 was because of issues getting it ready for April 2020

I just think with everything that has happened in the world, and the strain on internet - getting thousand of students to record themsleves with little notice wont' work. They will jus have to trust people not to cheat - just like they are doing with CP2 and CP3

shdh likes this.
  2. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

Excellent point - you would assume that with them cancelled, a printer/scanner will not be required by others, cause otherwise might as well have those exam on.

shdh likes this.
  3. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

Software - They are planning a new software which you will have to install on your system which will give you access to only the institute's website. There you will get the paper. This software will close everything else in the background, and if you open anything during the exam time, you will have 30 seconds to submit the paper, else it will automatically submit the paper after 30 seconds. The software will have its own word, excel and R elements, ad you will be able to open it only via the software. I was a part of the online testers group, and so i know all these details. They are planning on implementing it from Sept 2020 diet for all online papers, (CM1, CM2, CS2, CS1, CP2, CP3). It appears they may be planning on using it from April diet for those who wish to give the paper.

This software s called PSI browser. It is one that is used by many institutes for conducting online examinaitons.

Net Premium likes this.
  4. Studystuff

Studystuff Very Active Member

And what about having your notes open on your desk?

5. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

I agree with you but students may be lacking scanning systems, or may have broadband issues or any n-number of issues.

I can understand your agony as i myself was going for CS2 but seeing the cancellation, i feel it is for a better reason that we can have some additional time for paper preparation, and can sit 2 papers instead of one in Sept 2020 diet.

6. DM261

DM261 Active Member

Isn't this allowed for CP2 and CP3?

7. AlexLky

AlexLky Very Active Member

Perhaps I'm missing something, I'd say 50% of SP6 is maths. Does that mean there will be no maths in this sitting?

newkid likes this.
  8. AlexLky

This isn't helpful for CP2/CP3 they don't require any material to be learnt, it's more just a process/method that you have to become familiar with.

forsooth and shdh like this.
  9. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

It is possible to be having notes open, but then somewhere professional conduct also comes into picture. A certain level of professional and ethical behaviour is expected from every student.

Also the software might be recording student behaviour. Like whether he is constantly looking at the screen or looking away as well, whether any other object is seen in the webcam or not. things like these may be analysed as well.

10. DM261

DM261 Active Member

Well yes, but it's allowed to have things on the desk right? I was under the impression this is allowed for CP2 and CP3, but do correct me if I'm mistaken? I was under the impression only pre-prepared electronic material is forbidden?

11. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

Many students use work laptops - which they dont' have admin rights to - explain how given the current pandemic world wide, the IFoA now expect students to be able to install a new systems onto their laptops?

Let's say you get around that issue - will they require webcams - what's to stop you have notes on desk, to be using a second laptop, using an ipad, having a mate in the room etc?

12. AlexLky

Maybe for CP2 to an extent but not CP3. They are not structured like any of the other exams, where you essentially have the standard format of 12/13 questions, which you'd have a massive benefit if you could look up the answers for specific questions.

forsooth likes this.
  13. Mohp

Mohp Member

I understand all of that apart from your last sentence where you said ..to keep it fair for all students..’. How is this fair for any of the students here? I pay my annual membership just like everyone else and I expect the ifoa to facilitate me sitting my exams twice a year just like they facilitate every other student! If things stay the same, a student who was not sitting one of the cancelled exams will be able to sit two examinations in the year (assuming sept 20 will go ahead) , whereas a student who was planning to sit them will only be able to sit one! So please tell me how that is fair??

14. cm16

cm16 Keen member

Totally agree!
    I was registered to sit two of the cancelled papers, so if I want to keep same progression then I will be looking at sitting three papers in September.....

15. Mohp

Mohp Member

That only puts extra pressure on you during the September20 sitting through no fault of your own. Let’s face it, the only thing we want from the ifoa is for them to give us the exams facilities we are owed. Does this mean we should be reimbursed half of our annual membership?

16. Mohp

Mohp Member

Your complaint is most likely to be ignored or replied with a blanket ‘I’m sorry you feel this way ‘ email. Many have done so in the past and no doubt there will be many in the future

glan88 likes this.
  17. harties

harties Member

Some of us live in parts of the world where have inconsistent internet connectivity and electricity. I only have a desktop to work with no webcam. How is this fair?

i-actuary and forsooth like this.
  18. KMER94

KMER94 Member

Might be worth it one day... writing an arsey complaint might help me feel better in all of this too.

19. While I'm somewhat glad that a decision has finally been made, I am disappointed in it and that we are expected to wait for further clarification re schedule and sitting conditions.

I also agree that individual complaints are likely to be swept under the blanket. Therefore, I wonder if this forum has the reach and appetite to start a petition.

20. glan88

glan88 Member

I posted here about the webcam issue (post was deleted 2 minutes later) and was told to buy a webcam... sure I’ll just pop down to PC World now... it’s not like all the shops are closed down due to pandemic

PB3, Montyburns and forsooth like this.
  21. AlexLky

Is anyone else sitting SP6? What is their plan? All this relative uncertainty has obviously meant I haven't studied it in ages and now with a complete structure change I don't know what elements would make the most sense to revise. Where I live, I am in complete lockdown - I'd have to sit at home (on my mac) and the internet isn't great. I am also 6 hours behind the UK. Are they planning on spreading out these exams relative to where you're sitting? Or will we have to sit on UK time do you reckon?

Obviously a lot of us picked SP6 because we enjoyed the mathematical element of CM2/CT8 - if that is not present in the exam that will definitely be detrimental to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.