1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus effect on exams

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Act_SMC, Mar 11, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Act_SMC

Act_SMC Keen member

Is anybody else worried that exams are going to be cancelled at this stage? Maybe I'm just reading too much of the news...

PS15 and Podge like this.
  2. I am in Kuwait, our government have ordered two weeks of public holiday and cancelled all public events including exams across the nation for next one month due to spread of virus. WHO also announced Corona as Pandemic. Will IFOA April exams will be postponed? Kindly advise

3. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

You need to contact the examinations team at the IFoA directly.

4. Podge

Podge Member

I am also very concerned about this. I hope the IFoA release some possible outcomes/contingency plans soon.

PS15 likes this.
  5. nanaba

nanaba Keen member

It is indeed worrying and the fact that IFoA has not released a statement yet is awkward.

6. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Statements are on the IFoA website - exams expected to run as normal. Just like school exams etc. I would focus on studying and preparing for the exams as normal - rather than worry about things thar are completely outwith my control. Good luck with the exam preparation.

Oxymoron likes this.
  7. Dar_Shan0209

Dar_Shan0209 Ton up Member

The statements of the IFoA are present in their website: "We are aware that students may be concerned about sitting April 2020 examinations. We are monitoring advice given by the World Health Organisation as well as working closely with the British Council and our other venue suppliers to keep abreast of the developing situation across the world. We will keep you informed via our web site and email of any developments. At p!resent we expect to run the April 2020 session as planned."

8. Dar_Shan0209

Dar_Shan0209 Ton up Member

The IFoA released a statement regarding this event: "We are aware that students may be concerned about sitting April 2020 examinations. We are monitoring advice given by the World Health Organisation as well as working closely with the British Council and our other venue suppliers to keep abreast of the developing situation across the world. We will keep you informed via our web site and email of any developments. At present we expect to run the April 2020 session as planned."

9. Markimedes

Markimedes Member

10. Markimedes

Markimedes Member

11. Act_SMC

Act_SMC Keen member

I think once the UK government cops on with similar controls as in other major European countries then the institute will have to cancel. Our exam centre in Dublin is a college so is currently closed and I can't see it being reopened anytime soon

12. Podge

Podge Member

When this thread was created there was no statement from the IFoA regarding the exams.

The Society in the US will be making a decision on exam cancellations 4 weeks before their next sittings at end of April which gives people enough time to plan their study time. It is unfair for the IFoA to take the stance that they can cancel the exams 48 hours or less before the exam. Students will be taking company sponsored study days and/or personal holiday days to prepare for the exams. I am booked to sit in April but given the choice, I would just take the refund now and plan for Sep sitting because of the huge possibility of cancellation with short notice after wasting time off from work.

almost_there likes this.
  13. GOFS03

GOFS03 Keen member

Completely agree 4 weeks is plenty of time to arrange study time. 2 days on the other hand is not reasonable I for one have booked a decent number of study and personal holidays to prepare for my exams all of which will be wasted given the high probability of cancellation.

AaronD and Podge like this.
  14. I agree with both of the above posts. 48 hours is a totally unreasonable amount of notice to be provided given the significant amount of preparation required for these exams. Furthermore, particularly given the measures introduced in the UK today, it is is highly unlikely that it will be possible for this sitting to go ahead. Surely the IFoA should make a call on this well in advance of 48 hours prior to an exam?

Podge likes this.
  15. nanaba

nanaba Keen member

I am also booked for an April exam, where I get company sponsored days off and in addition I take personal holidays. I already informed the management that I can tell them only 48 hours befor my exam, if I will be able to take it. The reaction was rather doubtful.
    I just feel like there is no comprehension of the IFoA of how much time and sacrifises are taken by students in order to pass exams. Hearing now that the US equivalent will be announcing 4 weeks ahead of examination, is a rather disapointment towards the UK system, which is operating currently in the epicenter of this pandemic.

Podge likes this.
  16. Michal Piatra

Michal Piatra Active Member

They have to take into account all the non-UK students sitting exams in April too. Rest of the Europe treats the pandemic much stricter than UK. Currently, it would be "illegal" to hold such examinaions in many European countries including mine.

17. GOFS03

GOFS03 Keen member

It now looks like CAS and SOA exams have been postponed or cancelled, hopefully the IFOA will make a decision soon especially given the rate at which the UK is increasing the measures being taken.

18. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

As far as i think, the institute will not ask for any additional sum for postponing the exams. The exams would be held, but only on a later date. Since the students have already paid their exam fees, they will not ask for any additional sum for conducting the exam on a later date. The online exams like CP2, CP3 may not be postponed, but written exams will be postponed if things do not get better with regards to corona.

As GOFS03 stated, SOA and CAS have cancelled/postponed their spring exams. We can expect an update from IFoA anytime now. On the bright side if the exams are postponed, students get more time to prepare better. However, on the safer side, it is better to keep a good attitude and keep on preparing for the exams. The faster the virus came, the faster it may disappear as well. So not to have any sudden surprises, it is better to keep preparing and giving it our best regardless of what is happening in the world.

On it's website IFoA has mentioned that they 'don't intend to cancel the exams', so regardless of what happens, the exams will be conducted, but may be on a later date.

19. Think it’s poor form if the IFOA cancel or postpone the exam 48hours before. Think the only thing that will make them make a decision will be a government call on the country. They have 0 time for people taking leave from work and the efforts that go into these exams if they cancel 48 hrs before.
    Just got to keep studying for now I suppose

shdh, almost_there and PS15 like this.
  20. GOFS03

GOFS03 Keen member

The current communication states that further communication around exams is imminent, watch this space.

shdh and Podge like this.
  21. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

There's a possibility that the exam could carry on through the online platform for what are normally paper-based exams, but you are permitted to submit your answers handwritten (scanned) or typed out and go by the honour system to complete them closed-book (time limit is still enforced)? Maybe that's the contingency plan? Then hope they use your local time and not UK time. ;)

PS15 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.