1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Chapter 4 Q4.5 part 1

Discussion in 'CS2' started by shdh, Mar 6, 2020.

1. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

Hi,

In the question 4.5 of chapter 4, the part 1 is asking for generator matrix of different states. I understood that the expected waiting time has to be considered for each state while calculating the transition, but why are we considering negative signs under the same states, where no such transition is possible?

Like under state A, we have -0.5, but a claim would not be staying under state A after 2 days, so why this -0.5 under A to A? Similar values are present under other states as well.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks and regards,
    Shyam

2. Sum of each row of a generator matrix has to be 0. So we add all the other states' transition rates and subtract the same from state A so as to make it 0. It means that that the transition rate of going out of state A is -0.5.

3. shdh

shdh Ton up Member

Oh yes, i get it now. I was in the concept that transition matrix's rows should be total 1, but here we are referring to generator matrix.

Thanks Srijana!