1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

CS1 B Exam

Discussion in 'CS1' started by DbFCCA, Feb 20, 2020.

1. DbFCCA

DbFCCA Member

Hi there,

I am writing CS1 in April, 2020. May I know update for on-line exam platform for the CS1B exam, from whom who know? I am concerned about whether it will be examined as previously or "totally online (no need to download)" or else?

TIA.

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

You will need to have downloaded R version 3.6.1 and RStudio.
    They will send you the data files for you to upload into R before the exam.
    Then on the day you will take the exam online - you'll download the exam paper, write your R code and then upload your solutions in a word document before the end of the session.
    Full details can be found in the Professions guide which can be downloaded from this page.

3. Euan Ritchie

Euan Ritchie Keen member

Sorry for revisiting an old thread, but do you need to have R studio? It doesn't look to me like any of the questions require anything that you couldn't do in the console, and if we need to copy our scripts to word anyway surely it doesn't matter (I appreciate most people find Rstudio much easier, but although people think I'm crazy I've always preferred just using the console)

4. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I suppose not. But it has numerous features that make life easier - including autosuggestion, error spotting, bracket checking and so on.

5. nakitafer4

nakitafer4 Made first post

interesting information

6. CHUN LEONG LEE

CHUN LEONG LEE Keen member

Hi team,

Would like to ask the following:
    1. Would it benefit us (e.g. bonus marks) if we paste screenshot of excel workings in the word document in our exam?
    2. Also, do we have to closely follow the order of questions (e.g. my word document starts with question 5, while question 1 is at the end)

7. Andrea Goude

Andrea Goude ActEd Tutor Staff Member

1. You can past shots from excel into your word document, show your workings as you would if you used a calculator, see the exam handbook
    2. You can answer in any order, label your questions clearly so the examiners can follow your order