1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

april 2009 q3

Discussion in 'SP5' started by dimitris13, Jan 14, 2020.

1. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

hi,
    regarding q 1 ii the revision notes mention
    using puttable swaps gives the pension fund managers the option to terminate any existing swap and enter a new one

so pension fund may purchase puttable bonds to stay flexible ; how this is deduced from the previous?

and later it mentions that if yield picks up is high; what dobwe mean here with yield? the yield of the bonds so if goes up the value of the fixed leg will go down? or the rate of the fixed leg ?or sth else?

thanks

2. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

For part (ii) the examiner is giving a couple of reasons to enter the swap. One for risk mitigation. And one for higher return if there is a yield pick up.
    A puttable swap would be more flexible that one without a put option.

3. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

many thanks for this.
    i dont get the higher yield . yield on what ? on the bonds ?
    also how can i come up with the puttable bond answer ?

4. Colin McKee

Colin McKee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Yes - the question was looking for reasons why you would buy the puttable swap, and one is that the swap give a yield pick up (which means a higher yield than other things that do a similar job, such as bonds).
    I am not sure how you come up with the solution as everyone learns in a different way, but as you work through the past papers you will find that your knowledge increases and you will find it easier.

dimitris13 likes this.
  5. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

thanks Colin!