Is CM2 the toughest?

Discussion in 'CM2' started by Anu Joshi, Nov 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Anu Joshi

Anu Joshi Active Member

Hello,
    I'm currently studying for CM2.
    Is CM2 the toughest of all the CT papers .
    Having done the other ct papers .
    So far , I found that CS2 was the trickiest in all the papers i have done so far.
    How would you guys rate the CM2 paper in terms of level of difficulty in understanding & Passing the exam?
    I'm currently doing chapter 12. I found that the earlier chapters were not bad. But the chapter 12 seems a little tricky to me .
    What would be your advice on studying the later chapters ? (12-19)

2. laura_mils

laura_mils Active Member

I found it the toughest. It was the only 'old ct' which I have done under the new syllabus though. I found it the hardest because I found the concepts the hardest to get my head around. I would say don't get bogged down in the detail. Only learn an overview of the 5-step method. Don't leave the computer part till last min! I found seeing the computer parts of Acted course helped me understand the concepts of the written. Haven't actually passed yet, am waiting on results.

3. Anu Joshi

Anu Joshi Active Member

Hey.
    Have you cleared CM2??
    The pass rates are pretty bad this session too.
    I do not understand why the pass rates are falling tremendously.
    After the transition into new syllabus , the pass rates are falling.

4. laura_mils

laura_mils Active Member

Hi
    No 4 marks off. To be honest I didn’t think I would pass
    My grandad died 3 days before this exam and my concentration wasn’t there I was just too sad.
    Not sure what to do next
    I have an sp to clear too and for the next 2 sittings they’re on the same day ...

yes very low pass rate :( and increased the pass mark too
    Good luck !

5. Anu Joshi

Anu Joshi Active Member

Hey.
    I'm sorry to hear that. I think you should attempt CM2 again this session as you already know all the chapters. If you do it later than you have chances of forgetting some of the concepts and that would take you more time to study.
    If you want to write 2 papers , then you can write CP2 along with CM2.
    If you have done CP1 , CP2 then you can proceed with CP3 ( this is an easy paper).

6. laura_mils

laura_mils Active Member

I’m waiting on an sp result tomorrow (though I think that will be same outcome)

I have left sa3 and cp3

Sa3 has a lot of study days in my work and I’m not allowed to take more than one a week so I have already started studying that exam I’ve already read the materials once.

if I failed sp8 I will re sit that along with sa3 (as there is a lot of overlap). And just leave cm2 until September.

it’s a difficult position because sp8 and cm2 are on the same exam day in the next 2 sittings also :( !

I feel pretty confused to be honest!

7. Nolasko

Nolasko Keen member

Thank you for having this discussion. After going through hell with CS2 today, I'm hoping I wont have to answer that paper again. But having answered this paper has gotten me more driven to clear the rest of the papers, particularly, CM2.

I plan on answering CM2 in the next sitting, and I'm trying to gather as many tips as I can before embarking upon this upcoming journey.

What is the best strategy that can be followed while preparing for this paper? Is the number of study hours required for this subject more or less than that required for CS2 and in line with that given in the website (200 hrs. vs 250 hrs., respectively, on the website)? Are exam questions always or mostly out of the box? What makes it difficult?

Hope the exams have been going well for you guys.

8. Anu Joshi

Anu Joshi Active Member

Hey
    Hey,
    Yes the exams has treated me well this session. Honestly, I believe that CS2 was the toughest exam I went through. It does require a lot of studying to get all the concepts right.

CM2 does contain a lot of material, but I wouldn't say that it is more difficult than CS2. The first few chapters are quite do-able by revising well. The 5 steps method chapter would take a little time to get clear understanding.

All other chapters are mostly doable. So, though a lot of students say CM2 is tough, I stand firm that CS2 would recieve the award for the most difficult paper in CT subjects.

After sitting for all CT series and a CP exam, I would say that there are 2-3 easy/ very moderate questions in the exam. Only 1 or 2 questions would be such which you would find a little difficult. The rest of the paper is quite moderate. If you do enough revision ( mostly practice as many past papers that you could), you could definitely clear CM2 without too much difficulty.

Hope your study session goes well

PG Moehrke likes this.
  9. Nolasko

Nolasko Keen member

Thanks for your advise and perspective. Hope you get a favourable result!

10. studentactuary15

studentactuary15 Active Member

If you love and enjoy maths, you wont find it too bad at all! Chapter 12 is very easy, its literally some bookwork with some lognormal questions.

Don't bother trying to understand the 5-step method chapters too much, as it rarely comes up.

I barely read the core notes, but did every single Q&A section, along with online classroom and past papers. I then looked at core notes when I got stuck on any questions so it was like backwards method of studying - its so much faster (for me anyway)...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  11. laura_mils

laura_mils Active Member

Hey!

I stand by what I said last year - for me it was the hardest out of all of the actuarial exams!
    I just passed CM2 this sitting (2nd attempt!) and although it was my highest % score on all the exams, I think that's down to that it was my last exam and I only had this one to focus on.

I did the other earlier exams as as CTs, so didn't have to tackle the combined exams / R.