1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Return on Portfolio

Discussion in 'CM2' started by Aisha, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Aisha

Aisha Very Active Member

Let us consider a portfolio P with n assets with a proportion of xi invested in asset ( with i=1,2,3...n and sum(x)=1 ). Let the annual return Rp on this portfolio be assumed to conform to a single-index model of asset return . Then, can the Return on Portfolio (Rp) be expressed as :

Rp= sum(xi*ai) + Rm * sum(xi*bi) + sum(xi*ei) [ sum over i=1 to n ]

where ai and bi are constants. ai represents the expected return of security i , bi represents the sensitivity of security i wrt return on market and ei represent the error term of the security i which is independent of movements in market.

To find the variance of return on portfolio, can we expresses var(Rp)= var (sum(xi*ai) + Rm * sum(xi*bi) + sum(xi*ei))
    var(Rp) = (sum(xi*bi)^2)*var(Rm) + var(sum(ei*xi))
    Genreally, var(Rp) is expressed as : Var(Rp) = var(Rm)*bp^2 + var(ep) where ep is the component of the portfolio return that is independent of movements in market risk .
    On comparing the two var(Rp) equations above, is it okay to conclude that in case of single factor model , bp ( sensitivity of the portfolio p wrt market return) , bp= sum(xi*bi) and ep= sum(xi*ei)?

Thanks in advance!

2. Joe Hook

Joe Hook ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Aisha,

Your logic here is all correct although note that your Var(Rp) can be rewritten slightly as:

var(Rp) = (sum(xi*bi)^2)*var(Rm) + sum((xi^2)*var(ei)).

This is because the ei's are independent and so the variance of the sums is the sum of the variances.

Thanks
    Joe

Aisha likes this.