1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Increasing money supply

Discussion in 'CB2' started by VSA_88, Sep 17, 2019.

1. VSA_88

VSA_88 Active Member

Hi,
    Can anyone help me understand the difference between a T-Bill and a government bond when trying to increase the money supply?
    My understanding is that T-Bills are short term and sold at a discount, allowing the holder the make a return at the end of the term. For a bond, these are longer term, offer a coupon and redeemed at par. Is that correct?

However, in terms of monetary policy, I'm not understanding why one will increase the money supply and why the other does not. (For reference, an example question is in the course notes, page 9, ch15, I'll attach a snapshot here).

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Gresham Arnold

Gresham Arnold ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Amandeep, yes your summary of T-bills and government bonds looks fine.

The reason for the potentially different impact on the money supply is due (at least according to CB2) to differences in liquidity. The CB2 textbook regards T-bills as liquid assets but notes that government bonds are less liquid. The impact of this is explained on p577-578 of the CB2 textbook 'Economics'.

Best wishes

Gresham