Poor quality of marking in CP2

Discussion in 'CP2' started by Viki2010, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Once again, I have been negatively impacted by the poor quality of marking my scripts for CP2.
    As an example, I can bring up the marking that was done for "next steps" in paper 2. One marker awarded me with 6 marks, whereas the other market gave me 15 marks. I got an average of 10.5.

In a number of categories, the difference was 100% between marker 1 and 2. For example 0 marks (everything incorrect) or 2 marks (everything correct).

In my honest opinion, IFOA should review the markers for the quality of their efforts.

Last time, a marker simply did not award marks for something that was black in white written in my paper.....

Sadly, students like myself have to pay for this poor quality of work in money and time.

And in the end of the day, the markers get paid whether they do their job diligently or not....

almost_there likes this.
  2. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

I'm a very experienced marker for GCSE and A level and I can tell you that poor marking is more widespread than anyone not involved would believe.

Usually markers are sampled by a more experienced marker or monitored in some other way such as marking pre-marked papers. Poor markers usually don't get invited back but there are always more around the next corner. I don't know how the IFoA monitors it's examiners but hopefully they do something similar. No consolidation I know, when you're the one affected.

My bigger concern is that no one seems to have heard of someone going from a fail to a pass following a remark. This is unheard of in other marking systems because as explained above, poor marking is quite common.

3. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

In my recent CP2 submission, I found 15 cases where the marks awarded were different by 100% between marker 1 and marker 2.

4. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

Sounds like a poor attempt to standardise different markers. Lots of the CP2 marks are very subjective so discrepancies between markers are to be expected. In those sort of subjects at GCSE and A level, examiners would be expected to mark within a certain tolerance. Clearly that would be breached in your example.

5. almost_there

almost_there Member

Students should get together and get something done about this. Individual complaints get fobbed off at IFoA and FRC. It might be worth finding a sympathetic IFoA Council member if such a thing exists... after that what options remain except finding out if you have a legal case you could fight on this matter...?

6. David Hopkins

David Hopkins Member

Hi Viki

It's not my job to defend the IFoA marking, but in cases where the total scores awarded by the two markers differ by more than a few marks or where the marks are close to the pass mark, the student's work will be remarked by a (third) senior examiner who will act as a moderator to ensure that the final mark is consistent with other students. If you still have concerns, you should certainly raise your case with the IFoA.

7. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I would just hate to waste money on an appeal which in 99.9999% is not successful for students. What other methods are there to raise the issue of inconsistent marking practices?

8. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

I thought it was 100%?

9. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I checked the stats a couple of years ago and I've seen some appeals being successful in favor of a student. That however was an extremely tiny percentage. From memory < 1%.