Becoming student member

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Esteban Capparelli, Jul 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello everyone,

I would like to apply to become a student member. I passed the CS1 exam in last April's sitting. Do anyone knows weather my application will be approved automatically due to the fact that I already passed one of the non-member exams?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

It helps, but when I got approved with the CT1 result pending, I did also have a Grade 6 for my Math HL in the International Baccalaureate. (Don't worry, I should have a CT5 exemption coming soon. Hopefully.)

3. Hey, thanks for your answer. I have two foreing degrees but they are not very 'international' so they don't count I guess. I have actually cleared CS1, the result is not pending. I hope my application will be processed ASAP, if not I won't be able to sit for CS2 in September, and I'm more than half way through the exam.

4. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

Yeah if you didn't send in your application by 13 May (which is well before results are released), then there's a chance you will only become a student member after application for September 2019 exams are closed, meaning that non-student members may well be forced to skip a sitting if they waited for their results. Probably the reason why I applied for student membership at the same time as the CT1 exam.

They didn't provide any details of what university counts for the purposes of the degree. I've heard that studying Actuarial Science in NTU (as undergraduate at point of application) isn't guaranteed admission as student member. Hopefully they let you join.

5. bapan

bapan Ton up Member

I think your CS1 pass should get you admitted as a student member. Do apply and wait for their response.
    I wish you best wishes on your journey to become an actuary.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2019
    ProudActuary likes this.
  6. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Congratulations on passing! With 2 degrees and that pass there's no reason why they shouldn't admit you.

It's a fantastic job with a very good work/life balance. The exams are challenging but if they were easy then qualifying wouldn't be such an huge achievement! The support Acted offer is excellent and there's been a recent refresh of the syllabus to include R and excel - both practical and relevant for a modern Actuary.

I wish you all the very best with the exams and your career.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2019
    Tarbuck and Callum like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.