Membership of IFoA

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Jimmy white, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Jimmy white

Jimmy white Member

It depends. For many people working in the actuarial space there's very little point to continued membership. Especially lots of coders working on actuarial systems and data analysts. Loads of these people working in actuarial departments and are paid qualified actuary rates without being qualified.

If you want to make rank and climb ladders to a statutory role then continued membership is worth it. Or it's worth it for keeping options open for roles in the future which may demand it. But quite often once you've demonstrated that you passed the exams it implies a certain level of competence an employers only look for that rather than continued membership. Also, if you're a job for lifer your company may not care if you are a fellow or not.

Just saying, membership is not the be all and end all it's made out to be.

2. almost_there

almost_there Member

Didn't you say people should leave IFoA if they don't like how they conducted themselves as found by the Court? The onus is for IFoA to change their ways. Not everyone can leave without it adversely impacting them, especially if they are in the process of qualifying. They can't go and join the IAI, for example, if they're British, and we all know why that is now.

Null likes this.
  3. almost_there

almost_there Member

I can't see any mention of the recent Judgment in this month's edition of the actuary magazine. This is wrong. Members deserve to know!

Null likes this.
  4. Jimmy white

Jimmy white Member

No I said if they don't like the IFoA the option is open to them to leave it. I agree the IFoA should conduct themselves better but I consider this a minor infraction and I get more annoyed at their financial affairs than this. I'm 50/50 on whether I will renew my membership or not regardless of the latest event.

But my point was, if I felt as let down and if I had such strong opinions about the extent of the racial discrimination that was evident from many who participated in the last thread I would resign my membership on principle. I would never want to be a member of an institution that is blatantly racists. However, I think the IFoA infraction was not blatant and did not develop out of malice or racist intentions.

I agree, they should be addressing this but I'm guessing (could be wrong) they might have had legal advice not to comment on the case any further.

5. almost_there

almost_there Member

If so, further proof that lawyers are a big part of the problem here rather than the solution. None of this is in member interest.

whistleblower21 and Null like this.
  6. Hey Jimmy, your fees are going up. How do you feel???

Null likes this.
  7. Jimmy white

Jimmy white Member

Appalling!!! Even worse now that Derek Cribb has decided to ride into the sunset with everybody’s fees paying for his lavish, self awarded pension!

John Delaney is favourite to take over as CEO so I believe