Judgment Day

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Infinity, Feb 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almost_there

almost_there Member

Plenty of Indian students are doing it. It's common sense 4 opportunities vs 2. Opens up many possible strategies that British students were denied.

Harashima Senju likes this.
  2. almost_there

almost_there Member

Plenty of Indian students do it. Are you saying they're acting irrationally? IAI holds exams in London too.

3. Ace123

Ace123 Member

Just because Indian student are doing it, doesn't mean British students would. If you live in Belfast - your a British student, but would still have to travel to sit the exam, likewise if you lived in Newcastle - there are still travel costs.

NorthernFusion likes this.
  4. dmck

dmck Member

I do wonder
    So you either have 2 sittings, several months apart where you can focus your study on the exams. Or have 4 sittings, 2 within a month of the other then a break then another 2 in a month - sounds tough going to me with a job and a life on top too. I know what I'd rather pick given the option.

If people will now do 4 sittings per year then I wish them the best of luck.

5. lotstodo

lotstodo Member

just found the full hearing - agree things should be put right. Doesn't sound like compensation has been set yet. When it does, can all claim? Comments here are interesting:
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-best-between-IAI-and-IFoA
    Would love to see some stats covering pass/fails of those who are sitting exam twice in a session. Doubt data protection laws allow this but if anyone would like to volunteer some?????

6. almost_there

almost_there Member

Are you seriously saying you'd prefer to be restricted to 2 instead of a possible 4? lol

7. dmck

dmck Member

The IAI exams are a month after the IFoA ones. I don't think a month is sufficient time to prep for another exam and for me that workload would be too much compared to two sittings where I could prepare more fully but each to their own I guess.

8. almost_there

almost_there Member

You didn't answer the question.

9. dmck

dmck Member

So you asked would I prefer to be restricted to 2 rather than 4. That's a disingenuous question given there's unequal spacing between the exam sittings - hence my answer.

Even if they were equally spaced quarterly, I'd value free time and being able to see family/friends/travel/pursue hobbies far more than I would qualifying a year or two quicker than otherwise might have been the case.

10. almost_there

almost_there Member

That you are refusing to answer it does not make it a disingenuous question.

11. dmck

dmck Member

I would rather have 2 sittings split 6 months apart than than have 4 sittings with 2 of the 4 sittings spaced a month apart. What would you prefer?

12. Ace123

Ace123 Member

Unless you are the claimant you actually can't answer that question.

For instance I would hazard a guess that the majority of people would prefer to be fully qualified now - and no judgement found in their favour, than to have the judgement and still have exams left.

Also the link that another poster put up is very interesting....

"The exam paper of IAI is very difficult as compared to IFoA as IAI has no fixed pattern for the exams..."
    You could understand why an Indian may wish to sit the IFoA exams, but there is no real logic of a British student wanting to sit the IAI exams, other than wanting to sit extra exams in any given year.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2019
    NorthernFusion likes this.
  13. Null

Null Member

The court has not found in “my” favour, it has said that the IFOA has discriminated against British students. I don’t think you understand the implications of this. Every British student has a claim.

Are you seriously going to continue this argument? Why should I leave the organisation?

What is going to happen now is that the executives that are in charge will have to resign, the IFOA will have to rectify the situation for students that have been disadvantaged for over two decades. It is likely they will lose their ability to self regulate and they are going to get some bad publicity. Very bad...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2019
  14. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Notice to all members:
    Given the unique nature of the underlying content of this thread, we would like to keep it open for further comments. However, can all members please try much harder to keep their comments courteous and professional. We have edited or deleted a number of posts above. We do not want any members to be put off posting comments for fear of being verbally attacked.
    Warnings will continue to be issued for significant infractions and bans for repeated inappropriate behaviour.
    Thank you
    Admin

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Calm likes this.
  15. dmck

dmck Member

What does every British student have a claim for? The "discrimination" you refer to, from what I can tell, is that joint IAI and IFoA students could have 4 sittings per year whereas IFoA had 2 sittings and IFoA students weren't able to join IAI. Is that an accurate summary or are there other things at play?

If it was a conspiracy to intentionally discriminate in a meaningful way against a group of students then I would totally support some of the action being called for in this thread.

For reasons I've outlined previously in response to almost there I don't think the case is as significant as you are making it out to be. It appears as if some changes will need to be made to processes. Though I could be wrong, perhaps there will be an influx of UK students joining the IAI and sitting 4 exam cycles per year - I hope they think all that sacrifice is worth it. I'd much rather take my time to qualify as a Fellow and have a life than have this scattergun 4 sittings a year approach.

Have I read anything which requires widescale resignations on a mass scale? Not at all.

16. Ace123

Ace123 Member

Sorry almost_there implied that you had successfully sued the IFoA, as it’s on Wikipedia and therefore it’s true. Finding in ones favour and actually successful suing are two very different things where the law is concerned.

Given that you haven’t received compensation or are not disclosing it why would any student waste 8/9 years of their life making a claim when for large % it won’t affect them? Why limit your claim to British people? Does a French national sitting the exams not have the same right as a British national?

What are you going to do when all the executives in charge do not resign? Are you going to continue to be a member of a body where it’s clear that those at top have different ethics than you - given your insistence that they step down.

17. Null

Null Member

What are you on about? If a French national had to do far more rigorous exams than a British national due to their nationality then they would have a claim. The fact of the matter is that British students have been discriminated against for two decades since the IFOA has been granting Indian students double the opportunity to pass exams. It says so in the judgment what more do you want? The IFoA executives that are implicated in this mess should step down.

18. Ace123

Ace123 Member

And when they don't step down - what happens then - will the last 8/9 years have been worth it - to get a judgment in your favour, but see no heads roll - after all that' what you want isn't it? - that's what this whole thread is for isn't it?

19. Null

Null Member

Why would heads not roll? You seem to keep diverting from the fact that the UK court has ruled the IFOA has discriminated and in fact continues to discriminate. Why would you support an organisation that does so? Unless you have some ulterior motive?

20. Ace123

Ace123 Member

That still does not mean that heads will resign. And again you refuse to answer the question about what would you will do if all the executives at the top do not resign. - instead you constantly attack posters and ask them questions.

Personally the ruling of the court doesn’t bother me either way, I don’t see the issue as being an issue.

I will continue to be a member. - what will you do if the executives don’t resign that is the million dollar question that you refuse to answer.??????

In addition just because a court rules on something doesn’t means it’s right - for example the case of the bakery and the gay couple - how many courts ruled it was discrimination? Yet the highest court they went to on appeal eventually said no it wasn’t discrimination.

21. Null

Null Member

Your question about what I will do if the executives won’t resign doesn’t warrant a response. It is irrelevant.

The case it’s clear. Indians students get 4 chances to take exams and British students 2. That is not fair.

The IFOA had a historic agreement to stop British people to joining the Indian profession. They’ve know about this for years and have done nothing about it since they’ve been profiting from the arrangement. There are more Indian students in the IFOA than British ones. Google and you will find Indian students boasting that they can take 4 exam sittings per year. British students are not allowed to join the IAI so they can only have two chances per year. I even emailed the IAI recently and they still put up hurdles for me to join. They want me to come to India to take an entrance exam even though there is an examination center in the UK where British students are not permitted to take examinations. Indian students who have IFoA exams already don’t have to take this entrance exam. British students do. Whichever way you look at it, it’s discrimination. Where is the IFoA public statement on this?

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.