1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

IAI Oct 2006 Q19

Discussion in 'CB2' started by Srijana Raghunath, May 9, 2019.

1. Pls help me solve this.

upload_2019-5-9_15-0-49.png

2. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

This was covered in my Actuarial Econs notes.

rivals produce fixed quantity: Cournot model
    • firms chose best output for remainder of the market
    • profit will be less than under a cartel, but more than under perfect competition

3. What would be the answer for the above question?

4. Gresham Arnold

Gresham Arnold ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Srijana, I believe the textbook 'Economics' 10th Ed, used currently for the IFoA's CB2 syllabus largely covers the Cournot model only as a duopoly, so I wouldn't really expect to see this question in the IFoA exams now. I'm not sure about the current Core Reading for the IAI exams.

However, if we ignore that the question is more general for a moment, and instead assume that the question assumes the market is a duopoly.

Building on what Calm has said, under the Cournot model, a firm assumes the other produces a certain quantity. This means that the demand curve for an individual firm has the same gradient as the industry demand curve.

(Drawing the demand curve on a graph, an individual firm's demand curve would be to the left of the industry demand curve by the quantity produced by the other firm).

So, here, given the demand curve, I would expect that if the individual firm increased the quantity it produced by 1, the price would fall by 2 ie option A.

Last edited: May 17, 2019