1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

CS1 B syllabus

Discussion in 'CS1' started by Sunil B, May 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sunil B

Sunil B Member

Hey, I wish to attend the CS1 examinations this June. However I cannot find the syllabus for CS1 B (online exams). I hope if anyone could help me out.

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Sunil B likes this.
  3. Infinity

Infinity Member

When you’ve looked at it, can you please tell me what is different from the old exams?

4. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

In terms of new content:
    They've added booststrapping and of course all that R code to CS1.
    They've added Machine Learning, Copulas, Extreme Value Theory, more R code and arguably splines/mortality projection to CS2.

In terms of old syllabus:
    The CT3 syllabus is within CS1.
    The CT4 syllabus is within CS2.
    The CT6 syllabus is split across CM2, CS1 and CS2, specifically:
    • Decision Theory and Monte Carlo dropped (though I found out from my Prof, Monte Carlo and Machine Learning are two completely distinct topics)
    • Bayesian Statistics, Generalized Linear Models and Credibility Theory in CS1
    • Ruin Theory and Run-off Triangles in CM2
    • All other topics in CT6 (actually only about half of CT6 in total) in CS2

Which kind of explains why I found it much more challenging than expected to prepare for CS2, CM2 and CT6 together, despite what may be implied in the transition structure (especially the online papers). Not to mention that (unrelated) 3-hour-long group presentation on the morning of 16 April.

Consider consulting your Prof where possible or get the CS1 PBOR from ActEd, I found the given codes very useful for CS2B.

Sunil B likes this.