1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for CP2 - based on CP2 Mock P1 & P2 (marked scripts)

Discussion in 'CP2' started by pyuille_1609, Apr 12, 2019.

1. pyuille_1609

pyuille_1609 Member

Hi All,
    I am just getting to go through my marked scripts for the mock exams I submitted recently.

One comment said:

• I'd recommend you to avoid referring to specific rows, columns or cells by number in your audit trail. If rows or columns need to be added or deleted later, these would change. (I know that there are a lot of these in the specimen solutions!)
    Any thoughts on the above? Anyone else surprised? Isn't this inconsistent with the solutions presented? But he has a point though. If columns/rows are inserted/deleted then these references may become invalid. So what do we do in the exam? I think I would still signpost and do some cell referencing, since marking schemes show that we get marks for this....

I also think it's an excellent tip re: including an Overview tab to appear more organised. I saw this once or twice in looking at past paper solutions though, so I don't think it's necessary.... but it just may leave a good impression on the examiner(s).... Hmmm.

What do you guys think???

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2019
  2. Benoy Soman

Benoy Soman Member

Hmm to be honest, I've always included specific cell references. But I try to avoid solely including them. So for example, you could say "I've included the following parameters.... and these are in the cell range C1:C5" or "the totals for the cashflows are in cells..."

On the other hand, if I'm doing a goal-seek, I would just say a goal-seek and check have been included on the tab. I normally highlight special cells in blue and note this in the audit trail. So the reader would know this is a special cell and doesn't need a cell reference.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2019
  3. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Hm, why is pyuille's message blank?

Is feedback from the markers classified as "top secret"?

4. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

It is a bit confusing to see this:

· I'd recommend you to avoid referring to specific rows, columns or cells by number in your audit trail. If rows or columns need to be added or deleted later, these would change. (I know that there are a lot of these in the specimen solutions!)

as it disagrees with example solutions and also that we should do "maximum signposting" for the methodology.

5. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

hm, "
    · ....try to add an Overview tab to make [your spreadsheet] to be ore organised, although I wouldn't penalise you for this but it will depend on the examiner's view in the actual exam."

I've done an online revision day with ActEd last time around. We were advised not to do the "overview tab" because this was found in older style exams but not in the most recent ones.

6. Dar_Shan0209

Dar_Shan0209 Ton up Member

Hello,

I have also marked my assignment by ActEd markers last month. I am only adding on to the above point and not disclosing my marker's feedback as i have been advised not to do so, an overview tab is not necessary. Also, the concept of maximum signposting does not necessary include cells specifically but for example detailed methodology. Like, The Present Value of the cash flows is calculated and stored in Column D by discounting the cashflows obtained in Column C and dividing them with the Discount Rate pulled from the "Parameters" worksheet.

This is how i explained in my audit trail and i have not been penalised in any way in the mock exam. The marker said it is good to have accurate signposting.

Hope this helps.

7. David Hopkins

David Hopkins Member

In real life you should avoid referring to specific cells, as this is a form of hard coding and is "an accident waiting to happen". However, the examiners have said that they won't penalise you for doing this in the exam (and their solutions contain a lot of these). If you've labelled your spreadsheet clearly, it shouldn't actually be necessary to do this anyway, as you can just refer to the name of the column or say something like "Below the table are three checks ..."

Anu Joshi and pyuille_1609 like this.
  8. David Hopkins

David Hopkins Member

I'm guessing the moderator deleted it because it was giving away some of the answers!