April 2018 question 3

Discussion in 'SA3' started by zuglubuglu, Apr 4, 2019.

1. zuglubuglu

zuglubuglu Member

In 3iii, we are asked to outline two potential cyber claims per product (3 products). Yet the marking scheme accounts for 0.5 marks per potential claim.

Given this is a 6 mark question, does that mean that we were expected to provide 4 cyber claims per product?

2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Looks like an error to me. If they ask for two per product, then you only need to give two per product. But bear in mind it says 'outline', and some of the things on the schedule look to be linked to me, so maybe that's why.

3. Uroš

Uroš Member

Same paper question 4
    (v) Outline, with reasons, four key financial ratios from the satellite insurer’s
    accounts which the actuary might wish to consider before commenting. (8 points)

Why emphasise "four key financial ratios", while in the solution there are 10+ and none really gets the sufficient backing to earn 2 points (8 points divided by 4 ratios)? For me, this is misleading.

4. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

The examiners often give more than is needed to pass the question. You only have to outline 4 ratios to score well, they've just shown that there are a number of possible ratios you could pick. See how there are quite a few marks available for each one (although some more than others, so it's worth choosing 'good' ones). In my mind - there are many easy marks going for this part of the question - so make the most of it whilst you can!