1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

An area graph

Discussion in 'CP2' started by Viki2010, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Hello, the paper 2 September 2016 paper exam solution to the model use an "area graph". I would probably not use this type of graph here. Is there any alternative substitute that would not penalise for the "wrong choice of graph"?

2. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Would a line graph for illustration of cashflows be acceptable as an alternative solution scoring full marks?

3. Dar_Shan0209

Dar_Shan0209 Ton up Member

Hello,

There is no penalty for the choice of graph as long you chose the data relevant to the question and the graph is displaying the trend. Generally, as per the mark scheme, in Paper 2, you are awarded marks for graphs as long as you were able to:

1. Generate charts
    2. Table(s), graph(s) and other results are mathematically correct
    3. Results were presented clearly and are informative to the audience
    4. Used appropriate formats and chart types for the tables and graphs.
    5. Introduced/explained the purpose of table(s) and graph(s).
    6. Tables and graphs were clearly labelled and easy to understand at a glance.

So, if I were you, I would not worry on choice of graph as long as my graph satisfies the above. I attempted mock exam marking and the graph I produced was not the same as per the solution but I was not penalised in any way.

pyuille_1609 likes this.
  4. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Thanks Dar_Shan, I was penalised by the wrong choice of graph in the past though, that's why I do worry a lot....

5. Dar_Shan0209

Hello Viki,

I would not worry much, just check whether the chart(s) you produced is relevant to the question. For example, if you are told to show the composition of an asset portfolio - one would expect a pie chart/bar chart and not a scatter chart. I hope you get my point.

6. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

Thanks, I definitely get it. But when I saw the "area charts" I knew that I would have not picked them for the exam. I would have chosen a line graphs as in other cases when cashflows are illustrated.

7. Dar_Shan0209

Hi Viki,

Line Graph is fine. Don't worry just use the checklist above in order to judge whether your graph is correct/not.