1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

ST8 September 2012

Discussion in 'SP8' started by howard, Apr 7, 2019.

1. howard

howard Active Member

Hi all
    I have some questions about the ST8 paper of September 2012:
    1) Question 4 iii - how did the solutions find the SI of 2012 as £35.0m?
    2) Question 4 iii - what is meant (in the solutions, when working out the average for 2012) by "Simple (07-11) 6.4"? I think "07-11" means years 2007-2011, but don't know what the rest of that line means. Also how did they select which value to choose?
    3) Question 8 iii b - the question asks for 'prior weight' - what is this?
    Thank you to anyone who can help me with this
    Howard

2. Ian Senator

Ian Senator ActEd Tutor Staff Member

1) that was selected on page 7 of the report, as a reasonable trend from previous years.
    2) they mean simple average - but they've got the years wrong, I'm pretty sure they meant 07-10. They then selected this value using actuarial judgement.
    3) prior weights are the 'omegas' in the core reading. See chapter 16 page 14 and page 17.

3. Sumrah Shafiq

Sumrah Shafiq Member

4) why are 2007 policies not trended for inflation

4. Katherine Young

Katherine Young ActEd Tutor Staff Member

This is for Question 4 I take it Sumrah?

We do indeed apply inflation to 2007. Take a look at the top of page 7 of the Examiners' Report.