1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

April 2016 Q20(part 1)

Discussion in 'CB1' started by Shiksha, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Shiksha

Shiksha Member

Hi,
    I wanted to clarify if there was an error in the answer to question 20(part 1) when calculating the ROCE. Shouldn't the ROCE be calculated as Profit before interest and tax divided by equity plus long-term debt?
    Hence, in the particular question, shouldn't ROCE for say, pensions be calculated as (2205+288)/(3861+1600) ?
    I have attached the April 2016 paper for your reference.
    Thanks,
    Shiksha

Attached Files:

2. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Shiksha

Good question! I certainly agree with your definition of ROCE and the ASET solution does the calculation you describe, eg ROCE for pensions is calculated as (2205+288)/(3861+1600). Doing this would be correct and get the marks.

In this particular sitting, it seems the examiners were relaxed about making the interest rate adjustment (ie adding the interest back in) and so doing the pensions ROCE as 2205 / (3861+1600) was also considered correct on this occasion.

For future questions, I'd recommend doing what you describe in your post (ie being careful to achieve consistency between numerator and denominator) in case the examiners give only the strictly correct/consistent approach credit.

Best wishes
    Lynn

3. AKS01

AKS01 Very Active Member

Hi,

On the same question, I am a bit confused on how they have calculated the Gross Profit Margin Ratio. In ASET they have calculated the Gross Profit as Gross Profit = 11000-7700. Should we not be deducting the depreciation charges as well?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  4. Lynn Birchall

Lynn Birchall ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi

The issue is essentially what's a 'direct cost' in this case isn't it (as it's direct costs that are deducted to get gross profit)? The question does say:
    'Staff time is the only expense which is charged directly to contracts. All other expenses are treated as overheads.'
    which I suspect is why the solution deducts only salaries to get to Gross Profit.
    Bear in mind that this is a consultancy business, so the treatment of depreciation of premises might be different from the depreciation of factory/machinery we see in most past exam questions.

Lynn