PBOR pass mark

Discussion in 'CM2' started by zimact92, Dec 20, 2018.

1. zimact92

zimact92 Member

Is there any idea of the pass mark for PBOR?

I’m assuming the written paper would still be around the 60 mark and a combined pass mark to be 60ish as per previous papers?

Or is it possible to pass one and not the other even if your weighted average is higher than 60% e.g get 50% in PBOR and 75% in written paper ?

Please correct and advise :)

Thanks

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

The two papers are passed and failed together and so there will be one pass mark for the papers combined, not a separate mark for each. At the moment there's no reason to think it would move away from the 60% target but we are just speculating here.
    There is also unlikely to be a minimum mark for either paper although obviously the lower the mark you get on one, the harder it will be to pass overall. Note the weighting is 70:30, not 50:50.

Finally note that PBOR (Paper B Online Resources) is an ActEd product, not the name of the exam, which is just Paper B or the computer-based exam :).

Sandor Kelemen and zimact92 like this.
  3. Bharti Singla

Bharti Singla Senior Member

Does it mean that we can pass overall just by getting full marks in the written paper but a very low mark in the practical paper?

Let's say the pass marks is 60 for CM2. One get 90 in CM2A and 10 marks in CM2B. Now the weighted aggregate is 70% of 90 + 30% of 10 = 66 that is above the pass marks. So the candidate will pass CM2?

4. Muppet

Muppet Member

I think it's possible. But if you can only get 10% on Paper B then the chance you can get 90% on Paper A is probably pretty slim!! I'd stop worrying about it and just try and get as many marks as possible on each paper.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2019
  5. Infinity

Infinity Member

I wouldn’t believe anything Acted or the IfoA say. Please see other comments on this forum regarding pass mark. The ifoa chop and change this without clear guidance. One poster had something like a 33% difference in his mark and the pass mark set by the Ifoa is shrouded by secrecy. Another poster also had his mark fudged since he made a complaint to the IFoA. I’m personally dubious about my grades. Make sure you make a subject access request so you get some more detailed information

6. PoojaS

PoojaS Member

My query is regarding the PBOR material. I am a CT8 retaker and had ordered both revision notes and ASET and have prepared for Paper A.
    I had assumed the paper B material will also be covered in those, or I can get access to VLE since I have ordered both these materials.
    Can you please help and guide if it possible to get access to Paper B problems without ordering more study stuff.
    Thanks

7. Admin

We recommend a new CMP for those retaking CT8 as there are a lot of changes. This would include the Paper B materials. Retaker discounts are available, although you've left it a bit late if taking the IFoA exam.

8. PoojaS

PoojaS Member

Thanks for your prompt reply.
    I have prepared for Paper A using the ASET and revision notes (which includes all the questions form CT6, CT1 or CT7) added to the new course.
    Yes the paper B is left to the end. I understand it will be excel application of the concepts learnt in paper A. Hope I can cover up in a the next week. Can you recommend how much practice is required for paper B.
    Will the specimen on IFoA website suffice? I dont think the retakers module can arrive in time for me.
    I really expected the ASET and Rev notes will eventually give me access to paper B material as well. This is a bit of disappointment that I will need to order another set of study material for paper B.
    Can I request access to VLE platform for sample online problems please?

9. almost_there

almost_there Member

Why would Acted have to speculate what the pass mark is? Is IFoA unable to create exam papers that come with a stable fixed pass mark such as the Indian Actuarial Institute manage to do, why?

10. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

The specimen on IFoA website can help give you an insight to what to expect in CM2B. Hard for me to say if that would suffice, it also depends on your prior experience with Excel. For me, I feel this is a relative non-issue because multiple modules in NTU cover the use of Excel.

The Core Material Pack for CM2 comes with the Paper B access. It contains 3 questions for each of the CM2 topics (except Efficient Market Hypothesis lol), with worked spreadsheets (so 60 questions total) plus a recap document for using Excel. I feel that the general idea is to get a feel of what kind of questions can appear, then you structure your spreadsheet well so that it makes workings easier to perform and also easier for the markers to follow your work.

Maybe if you could look from the perspective of CT6's EBCT where you put a credibility factor on the pass mark of prior CM and CS papers, of which there are none... so the credibility factor is obviously zero and hence the pass mark must be estimated entirely from other data e.g. the pass marks of the CT papers of the old syllabus. I guess at least those who got CT6 without CT4 won't need to do this topic again.

11. almost_there

almost_there Member

What has previous pass marks of now defunct subjects have to do with it? Are you commenting from a position of knowledge of how IFoA determine pass marks, if so please explain.

12. Admin

You can buy access to the VLE for Paper B Online Resources (PBOR) without buying the new CMP if you want to.
    https://www.acted.co.uk/estore/estore_product_list.fwx?webtype=DISTANCE&websubject=CM2

ASET is a product that covers past exam papers. Given there aren't any past Excel papers, then it isn't directly relevant to Paper B. The theory covered in the Revision Notes underpins what will be examined in both papers. You could try to answer some of the old CT8/CT6/CT1 questions using Excel instead of pen/paper/calculator. But there may be new types of questions the examiners will answer now that Excel is available.

13. Calm

Calm Ton up Member

No, I'm saying that this is how ActEd determined the answer to the original question by zimact92. I believe the pass mark for each paper seems to follows a random distribution that probably includes factors such as how difficult the paper is, the students' actual performance on it (past and present sittings), upper/lower bounds and others that only the IFoA knows - the exact model used shouldn't matter. Only when we complete this sitting will we/they know some of the stuff such as the students' actual performance on the A and B papers, then they can run certain analyses with the newly obtained data (think CS2's Machine Learning - hyper-parameters in particular, as the estimates for these can significantly affect a model) and hence determine the pass mark.

Such as simulating X runs of a random process from certain topics either with pre-set random numbers or Excel's Rand() function.

But what's more important is to simply study hard for them so that you can pass regardless of how high the actual pass mark turns out to be, right? :)

14. almost_there

almost_there Member

Aim for 100% because no one knows what the pass mark will be?

Calm likes this.
  15. almost_there

almost_there Member

This shows there is no objective standard being set or tested as the pass mark is a function of student performance.

16. PoojaS

PoojaS Member

Thank you. So the PBOR access will be available immediately since its through VLE, right?

General suggestion - Students / re-takers already buying multiple materials for CM2 (which are NOT inexpensive!) should be able to get access to the PBOR since the intention is to pass the exam as a whole and not need to buy separate revision materials (just like in case of Y series etc).
    I feel an extra 100 quid spent on PBOR is not quite fair.

17. Admin

Usually 1-2 working days (once payment received and order checked and processed).